New FILM9 software fails

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vinckles

New FILM9 software fails

Post by vinckles »

In May 2016 the developers, Gilles and Roland, of the free FILM9 video restoration software, informed me of a new revamped version they have produced called FILM9 version 2.01.

In order to download it, I first had to download a Microsoft installer called NET Framework 4.6.

Once I had FILM9 installed, I clicked the desktop icon to open it but all I get is a message saying: "FILM9 has stopped working".

I have tried contacting Gilles and Roland, who only speak French, but they seem very reluctant to reply to me or help in any way.

Has anybody else had the same experience as I have, using the new version of FILM9?

i do not know what to do when a software stops working. I can only think there must be a bug in the software itself(?)

I had hoped Gilles and Roland could have told me when a fresh issue would become available but the refuse to reply and tell me what is happening.

It is a real pity because the new FILM9 looks like it might be quite impressive for improving videos and sound. Yet I have a sinking feeling I will never get anywhere with it!

Does anyone know if there is a better alternative video restore software to FILM9, preferably a Free to own one?

Thank you in advance. Regard
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: New FILM9 software fails

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Let us know something about your setup. Are you using Windows 10, 32 or 64 bit Ie. Have you had a look at the event viewer to see some details about the software crash?

I find it likely that the problem you see is related to some software incompabilites. Ie. wrong .net version or 32/64 bit unhandled exceptions etc.

Best,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

My curiosity awakened, I tried to start up my Film9 2.01 and it asked me (in French) if I would like to update to Film9 2.02. I had no problem with the new install. I am running windows 8.1.
Julian.
vinckles

Post by vinckles »

Hi,
Thanks to all who have written.
I am using Windows 7 32bit pc. I just tried opening FILM9 again and it insists I should download "Quick time 7" and various other codecs - X Vid and the like. I am not sure I should. I do not know what it is all about(?)
The "FILM9 has stopped working" message has a crash report list but I have no idea what all the technicalities mean(?)

How long has the version 2.02 been available? I tried for a fresh version on 1st August '16 but all I got was version 2.01.

Just in case I never get anywhere with FILM9, can anyone recommend a Free software which achieves the same results of restoration as FILM9?

Regards. Vinckles
Gelinox

Post by Gelinox »

Hello Vinckles,

I responded to 4 mails you sent me privately on the subject.
I can only give you the same information:

This is an installation problem that has not been performed correctly.

You must remove the previously installed programs (Film9, FrameWork 4.6, Avisynth).
Once done, launch the latest version of Film9 you find here http://www.film9.org and follow the information provided by the program.

This installation should be no problem for a user with minimal computer knowledge.

Regards

----------------------------------------------------------
vinckles

Post by vinckles »

I removed Avisnth and NET Framework 4.6, but had to put in NET Framwork 4.0 installed in order to use other video downloaders etc.
I cannot remove old FILM9 from 18 months ago because it does not show up in my "Uninstal a Program" list. You told me earlier, I could keep the old version and still download the new version because it is a very different software!
Other than NET Framework 4.0 what other NET Framework do I need for FILM9? I ask because I visited my local library and found I needed Framework 4.6 there, before it would install FILM9. This would seem to prove that ALL COMPUTERS IN THE WORLD MUST HAVE NET Framework 4.6 or later, in order to be able to install FILM9! Yet you do not seem to agree with this(?) I cannot make FILM9 install without it. What must I do?
Vinckles
jvascomarques

Post by jvascomarques »

I have the exact same problem. Windows 7 sp1 64bits, fresh install. Any sugestions?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk