No news from Ferrania is not good.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mana

Re: No news from Ferrania is not good.

Post by Mana »

Agreed, but $80! :-o @-)
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

kuparikettu wrote:While some have had rather bad experiences with Pro8mm, I got to say this (reversal) development looks sweet: https://vimeo.com/164822714 :ymapplause:
nice ;)
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

the 3rd summer since the kickstart has arrived.
how is the new chiller going?
I wish all ferrania-staffs have a good summer and merry chrismas and good easter, and good next summer and..... :D
doug

Post by doug »

kontrabass888 wrote:the 3rd summer since the kickstart has arrived.
I wish all ferrania-staffs have a good summer and merry chrismas and good easter, and good next summer and..... :D
Ha ha !
But trying to be serious, it was obviously a huge undertaking with many unforseen problems. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather they got the product as perfect as possible before putting out. If they are still going for a 100 iso film, and myself I am slightly concerned it might be too fast for quality, they are up against the benchmark of Ektachrome 100D. This could be tough and may contribute to the delays ?
Many of us probably stockpiled E100D before Kodak ditched it, but supplies must now be dwindling...
Hope the Ferrania cavalry arrive soon.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

doug wrote:
Ha ha !
But trying to be serious, it was obviously a huge undertaking with many unforseen problems. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather they got the product as perfect as possible before putting out. If they are still going for a 100 iso film, and myself I am slightly concerned it might be too fast for quality, they are up against the benchmark of Ektachrome 100D. This could be tough and may contribute to the delays ?
Many of us probably stockpiled E100D before Kodak ditched it, but supplies must now be dwindling...
1)Why it must be 100D? 25 and 50 iso will be OK for me. In fact i didn't like 100d , it is too fast for day light. I would like to use 100 d for sunrise and sunset or cloudy winter days.
2)Actually, the best time to release their film had been gone. I would suggest them to produce a slow day light film for this summer, to keep the quantity of the poor market, other wise, there will be no market when their 100d film is ready to sell, 2-3 years later
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

kontrabass888 wrote:
doug wrote:
Ha ha !
1)Why it must be 100D? 25 and 50 iso will be OK for me. In fact i didn't like 100d , it is too fast for day light. I would like to use 100 d for sunrise and sunset or cloudy winter days.
2)Actually, the best time to release their film had been gone. I would suggest them to produce a slow day light film for this summer, to keep the quantity of the poor market, other wise, there will be no market when their 100d film is ready to sell, 2-3 years later
1) The majority of Super-8 cameras out today are what they call 25/160 cameras. Older cameras were able to handle the entire gamut of film speeds from 25 to 400, but since higher-speed films were unbearably grainy back then (think Wittnerchrome 200D, but worse), 160 was the upper limit of what everyone was willing to tolerate. The majority of those cameras were made to cater to Kodak's two color stocks, K40 and E160, and since nobody else was making any other film speeds, nobody saw the need to set their cameras to handle them. Obviously nowadays that's not the case, and that was one of the reasons E7240 and E64T failed so badly. Neither of the stocks were made for the lion's share of cameras available on eBay.

100D is a safe speed because the 25/160 cams can easily expose it, just like 50D, although that would be overexposed slightly because the camera would read the cartridge notch as 40.

2) From what I understand, Ferrania intends to mirror the same speed ranges as Kodak Vision3, just in reversal to begin with. Personally, I'll take any speed, just so long as it's not like Wittnerchrome 200D. That's my current benchmark for bad film. Sadly, Ferrania's history in the US doesn't bode well for them. Their Scotch/Imation stocks were some of the absolute worst out there. They were basically the Fiat of film :)
"You made me choke a chicken on national television...twice in one day!"

--Kevin Smith, after killing a tic-tac-toe playing chicken in Kissimmee, FL, "Kevin Smith's Roadside Attractions"
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

cubdukat wrote:
1) The majority of Super-8 cameras out today are what they call 25/160 cameras. Older cameras were able to handle the entire gamut of film speeds from 25 to 400, but since higher-speed films were unbearably grainy back then (think Wittnerchrome 200D, but worse), 160 was the upper limit of what everyone was willing to tolerate. The majority of those cameras were made to cater to Kodak's two color stocks, K40 and E160, and since nobody else was making any other film speeds, nobody saw the need to set their cameras to handle them. Obviously nowadays that's not the case, and that was one of the reasons E7240 and E64T failed so badly. Neither of the stocks were made for the lion's share of cameras available on eBay.

100D is a safe speed because the 25/160 cams can easily expose it, just like 50D, although that would be overexposed slightly because the camera would read the cartridge notch as 40.

2) From what I understand, Ferrania intends to mirror the same speed ranges as Kodak Vision3, just in reversal to begin with. Personally, I'll take any speed, just so long as it's not like Wittnerchrome 200D. That's my current benchmark for bad film. Sadly, Ferrania's history in the US doesn't bode well for them. Their Scotch/Imation stocks were some of the absolute worst out there. They were basically the Fiat of film :)
Doug said that the reason of delay is because they need make a perfect 100D (I understood the perfect means finer grain )
I answered that 25 iso will be OK for me
25 asa daylight film is the standard speed for any super8 cameras.
doug

Post by doug »

kontrabass888 wrote:
Doug said that the reason of delay is because they need make a perfect 100D (I understood the perfect means finer grain )
I answered that 25 iso will be OK for me
25 asa daylight film is the standard speed for any super8 cameras.
I don't know whether that is the reason or not. It was a hunch. But I do agree it makes much more sense (for everyone) to fill the market-gap with a fine grain reversal film. And yes I would be happy too with a 25 to 40 asa film. Most super-8 and many 16mm cameras can handle slow films because the lenses are so fast. In this respect we are better off than 35mm movie makers. And still 35mm photographers can use slow films much of the time, as they have always done, although taking greater care.
It's harder to view the image in a H16RX with 100asa :-?
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

[quote], they are up against the benchmark of Ektachrome 100D.

Up against a benchmark of Kodak 100d, pretty low standard then, 100d was the worst stock I've ever exposed in a super 8, 8mm and 16mm camera, un natural colours, blown out highlights and unsharp images, a dreadfully over rated stock.
Somewhere I read Ferrania are bringing out a 64d stock..
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

cineandy wrote:
, they are up against the benchmark of Ektachrome 100D.

Up against a benchmark of Kodak 100d, pretty low standard then, 100d was the worst stock I've ever exposed in a super 8, 8mm and 16mm camera, un natural colours, blown out highlights and unsharp images, a dreadfully over rated stock.
64D will be fine for me, it could handle most daylight situation. in the bright daylight, the aperture will be around F8 to F16.
But I still prefer 25ASA it will give the possibility to use aperture from F4 to F8 in daylight.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

kontrabass888 wrote:
cineandy wrote:

64D will be fine for me, it could handle most daylight situation. in the bright daylight, the aperture will be around F8 to F16.
But I still prefer 25ASA it will give the possibility to use aperture from F4 to F8 in daylight.
I would like to see how fine grain a modern 25ASA reversal stock could be.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Tscan wrote: I would like to see how fine grain a modern 25ASA reversal stock could be.
I have shot two Kahl NC15 25asa daylight super 8 film and developed as reversal last year,
It gives super sharpness and extremely fine grain, however the red color was very weak on this film, green and yellow were OK.
People still guessing what is the original source of this NC15, but any way it must be something old...
Ferrania doesn't need give evolutionary quality of film, but the quality from 60's, 25d/40t will be OK for me.
doug

Post by doug »

kontrabass888 wrote:
Tscan wrote: I would like to see how fine grain a modern 25ASA reversal stock could be.
I have shot two Kahl NC15 25asa daylight super 8 film and developed as reversal last year,
It gives super sharpness and extremely fine grain, however the red color was very weak on this film, green and yellow were OK.
People still guessing what is the original source of this NC15, but any way it must be something old...
Ferrania doesn't need give evolutionary quality of film, but the quality from 60's, 25d/40t will be OK for me.
That's interesting, I never tried the Kahl film. Is it still available ?
Some of these old 25 asa films were very small grain. Agfa reversal in the 1960s was also extremely good but that was only 16 asa.
Maybe it's that much easier to make a high resolution film no higher than 25. And wasn't the first Ektar col print still-film only 25 ? Somehow Kodak found ways of increasing speed without enlarging the grain.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
doug

Post by doug »

Ferrania has the interesting idea of manufacturing a reversal film universal to all formats. I can see that medium format and larger may present speed problems, but I would have thought a slow sharp colour film the best option for 35mm still photography. Both Ektar 25 and Kodachrome 25 were used extensively outdoors and created great images. Maybe slow zoom lenses weren't so common then. Fast primes much better.
For super-8 we have fast zoom lenses, much more sensitive than still zooms. As well as XL shutters and generally slower shutter speeds. And a 100 asa film can even be a hindrance at times.

cineandy wrote:

I really disagree. Kodak 100D looks very good most of the time. It's strangely sharper than their 64T.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Eric Milborn

Post by Eric Milborn »

mr_x wrote:
Eric Milborn wrote:For the UK the best source for Wittner film stock is

http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk

They will get you 16mm as well if you inquire for it.
They receive shipments from Wittners on a regular basis and easily can include some 16mm rolls for you (or other products).
Thanks Eric - will try there! ;)

Good news! Gaugefilm decided to list Wittner Chrome 200D 16mm permanently.
However - the first batch did sell out very quickly, but I am sure they will be restocked soon.

http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/c15/16mm_Reversal.html

They also did a nice testfilm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8zoW7dito