Canon 512XL questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

deadflo

Canon 512XL questions

Post by deadflo »

:?: Hi folks. I just got a used canon 512XL off ebay. It has a few problems, but I may be able to use it anyway. I need some help with some basic functions, since th only operatio manual I can find here is in Norwegian.

I assume the manual exposure control is used by pulling out the knob, then rotating it to adjust exposure f-stops? My camera stays at F1.2 no matter how I twist the knob, so maybe I'm not doing it correctly?
The auto exposure seems to work ok, so I may be stuck with that.

Other items..is the little red screw off button on the bottom to be used on the top of the camera to move the daylight filter in and out? Is the filter in or out when the red knob is not screwed down?
The worst problem with the camera is that after you press the trigger, it operates as though it is in "run lock" mode the whole time, even if it is in the "R" position, so I have to turn the camera off to stop exposing film. Quite a problem, but I can get aorund that as well I suppose. Funny thing, if the camera sits for a few minutes off, it will not begin running once you turn it on, but if you just ran it and tunred it off, the second you turn it back to "r" it will run again.

Well I only spent 38 US dollars on the camera, although the person who sold it said it had no problems!
Any advice on this camera anyone would like to give me would be appreciated.
jessh

Re: Canon 512XL questions

Post by jessh »

deadflo wrote: I assume the manual exposure control is used by pulling out the knob, then rotating it to adjust exposure f-stops? My camera stays at F1.2 no matter how I twist the knob, so maybe I'm not doing it correctly?
The auto exposure seems to work ok, so I may be stuck with that.
Of the 2 Canon super8 cameras I have used that had manual exposure control both have been broken (well the first one initially worked and then misteriously stopped).
If your camera is one of the ones where you have to hold the trigger down half way to get an exposure reading try doing that while adjusting the fsotp, on the 814E I have the knob moves the needle but then it doesn't stay, I need to get around to trying to fix it.
deadflo wrote: Other items..is the little red screw off button on the bottom to be used on the top of the camera to move the daylight filter in and out? Is the filter in or out when the red knob is not screwed down?
You screw it into the top of the camera when you want to remove the daylight filter so that you can use it with tungsten lights.
deadflo wrote: The worst problem with the camera is that after you press the trigger, it operates as though it is in "run lock" mode the whole time, even if it is in the "R" position, so I have to turn the camera off to stop exposing film. Quite a problem, but I can get aorund that as well I suppose. Funny thing, if the camera sits for a few minutes off, it will not begin running once you turn it on, but if you just ran it and tunred it off, the second you turn it back to "r" it will run again.
I would think that this is most likely caused by the camera being a bit dirty inside.

~Jess
yosemitesamiam

Re: Canon 512XL questions

Post by yosemitesamiam »

So the manual iris broke deal...I assume auto mode works fine still? I picked one up today in fantastic shape. But this is broken. The meter lights and meters perfectly with the trigger pulled part way.

The zoom is also sluggish. But honestly in such an odd place I'd rather use the stick.