New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Please retweet this for those of you who are on twitter: https://twitter.com/filmtek/status/685892754132590592 :-BD
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Will2

Post by Will2 »

Here's the thing; Kodak has a great PR/marketing team (not in general, just on this product). They were smart not to release any details on the processing/scanning package because that would require they mention the price. As soon as the average person hears $75 for 3.5 minutes they will lose all these new potential hipster customers. The only shot they have is to get it out there to JJ Abrams and others who will use it and post about how cool it is then the 40+ crowd that has more disposable income will want to capture their children on film and re-live their childhood may go for it. I know this because I fall into that category. Cynical perhaps, but true.

All that said, I'm proud of Kodak giving it a shot and it's probably Super 8's best hope.

I'm curious as to how they will sync up the audio from the SD card with the film or is that left up to the customer? Do you send in the card with the film? If you did that Kodak could send back the scans on the same card with audio synced up and provide a downloadable version online. Or do you upload the audio when you fill out an online form? Possibilities are intriguing but complicated. Glad I'm not on the customer service side of Kodak!

Also, I would totally expect a audio plugin to downgrade the audio signal to Super 8 Sound fidelity. I loved that complete absence of audio quality from the old cartridges.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

just wondering, is this Kodak's clever way of axing the format? Invest in a camera, this fails to boost super 8 film stock sales, thus green light for Kodak to axe super 8? Imo, a reversal film would drive up the super 8 sales an awful lot more than a new camera!
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

Nah, Kodak could axe anything it wants without doing anything else than mentioning it on their catalog page. If Kodak wanted to kill Super-8, they'd only need to put it into a "Discontinued Listing" for that month. No need for any elaborate schemes costing them precious marketing money. This is part of their new larger move to try to strengthen motion picture film use: there was this a while ago http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/corp/Pres ... efault.htm , they want to bring a lab back to NYC ("In New York, the last [film] processing lab did close down. We worked with Alpha to put a mobile lab in place so movies could be shot in [the city] again. Now we're working on putting a permanent lab back in place." - Jeff Clarke) and now with a new super-8 camera they want to expand the film customer base to those who haven't been part of it for a long, long time -- if ever.
DonFito

Post by DonFito »

Which ever way you slice it, the new Kodak Super8 Camera is only fabulously great news!
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I was lucky enough to stop by Kodak's last film office in NYC before they closed it down. I just bought some film to see the place. It was pretty empty and you could tell the employees were pretty beat down.

I would just be happy if they would do online ordering for all film stocks so we don't have to call them and manually give credit card info all the time. Just make it an easy online shop for Super 8, 16 and 35. We could set up accounts and they can have better data on their customers and send out promos for stock they need to move more of.
videoguy326

Post by videoguy326 »

Kodak recently relaunched their online store.

You can buy super 8 directly from them here:
http://store.kodak.com/store/kodak/en_U ... D.70237500
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

videoguy326 wrote:Kodak recently relaunched their online store.

You can buy super 8 directly from them here:
http://store.kodak.com/store/kodak/en_U ... D.70237500
There's no Vision3 50D available in Super-8? :-\
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

From this ad there will be 50D - same shit new wrapping?
S8 Booster wrote:http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/06/k ... lm-camera/
The Super 8 camera comes with a C-mount Fixed 6mm, 1:1.2 Ricoh lens with full manual iris and focus control, but there is also a optional 6-48mm zoom lens also available. It will take 50ft Kodak Super 8 cartritges and can shoot in frame rates 9, 12, 18, 24, 25 (FPS) all with crystal sync. It has a integrated battery, 3.5″ viewfinder as well as a built in light meter.
shoot....

shoot.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
john59

Post by john59 »

Ive seen a few video blogs where they say you can get 15 mins per cartridge.............whats all that about???
heres one, he says it at 1.04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slj1Nif ... gest-vrecs
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

They don't know what they are talking about. 15 is meters, not minutes. :)

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Andreas Wideroe wrote:They don't know what they are talking about. 15 is meters, not minutes. :)

/Andreas
That would be Super One Millimeter Film. :)
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
Will2

Post by Will2 »

john59 wrote:Ive seen a few video blogs where they say you can get 15 mins per cartridge.............whats all that about???
Just an example of what happens when the reality of shooting film hits the average video enthusiast.

I can hear it now...

"3.5 minutes for $75???? WTF???"
Angus

Post by Angus »

Probably confusing 15 metres of film....somewhere it probably says "50 feet / 15m" and people of the video age assume 15 minutes.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)