16mm Reversal Services

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gaugefilm

16mm Reversal Services

Post by gaugefilm »

After calling around trying to get some 16mm reversal processed it became immediately apparent that nobody is really doing it anymore. Well not in the UK anyway. All labs I tried to contact either didn't pick up the phone, didn't message back or if they did message back required a minimum order of at least 1000ft. Basically a sorry state of affairs for people like myself who only shoot small amounts of 16mm reversal film per year.

It is for this reason I kicked into some testing and I've set up an E-6 and D-19 developing service using my 5L 50ft tanks. Obviously 100ft rolls need to be split down the middle and a frame is lost in the process but it's definitely better than having no service at all! I'm also quite pleased with the results (compared to using my 16mm 100ft tank). I could never get good results with that 16mm tank and it has always put me off processing 16mm films for myself and for my customers. However I have been pleasantly surprised with processing 16mm in my 5L 50ft tanks I think it's deep narrow construction just lets the chemicals circulate better than the wide short 16mm tank.

I will post some videos when I have more time but for now I just wanted to give you 16mm reversal shooters a processing option. I do hope this post isn't taken down. This isn't about profits or self promotion. It's not going to be a massive earner but it is going to give 16mm shooters somewhere to process small amounts of 16mm reversal film (at least until someone else can step in?).

Enjoy:

http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/c15/16mm_Reversal.html
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
Will2

Re: 16mm Reversal Services

Post by Will2 »

Dwayne's Photo in Parsons Kansas, USA is still processing E-6 reversal and offering Wittnercrhome 16mm 200D Reversal for sale as well.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Spectra film and video in North Hollywood, 818 762 4545, is processing both color E6 and black and white 16mm,8mm film. Spectra also processes V3 negative. Also Pro 8mm is processing reversal film. Yale no longer processes film and only does high grade transfers. Cinelab Boston will process black/white reversal and V3 neg but not E6 color reversal. Dwayne's does only E6 color reversal. If I have overlooked someone's favorite lab. let me know.

Unfortunately the only color reversal 16mm and 8mm is Agfa Aviphot. J.S.
cinephoto

Post by cinephoto »

Dear gaugefilm,

I've had good experience shipping 16mm reversal to the US for developing (both colour and b&w).

(by the way, I'm selling off some 16mm reversal stock here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26662)

I've had excellent results using these guys:

http://www.yalefilmandvideo.com/

Shipping may be somewhat expensive, however, US labs tend to process film at a more reasonable cost when compared to European labs, so much so to make up for shipping if done in bulk.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mr8mm wrote:Unfortunately the only color reversal 16mm and 8mm is Agfa Aviphot. J.S.
Is that what Dwayne's is selling as Wittnercrhome 16mm 200D?
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Yes, Dwaynes photo Wittnerchrome 200D is Agfa Aviphot 200D, which I believe is no longer being made by Agfa. So, whatever Wittner has in stock is the end of that color reversal. I do not know of any other source. I am not certain even FUJI is still actually coating new color reversal. Fuji does seem willing to release for small gauge film producers. That leaves Ferannia as the only possible source for future color reversal. And I am not optimistic on that possibilty.

Yale lost the lease on their lab building and had to move to a new location that does not have processing lab facilities. Yale only does transfers and farms out processing to other labs. Too bad because they were a very good processing lab.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Let me make a correction to last post.-----Fuji does NOT seem willing to release for small gauge-----
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

I see on the Agfa site, they say Discontinued I wonder if that includes the 200d as well. Not that I would touch Agfa stock with a barge pole!
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

In Toronto for processing, check out www.niagaracustomlab.com
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

In my list of reversal labs for the USA, I neglected PRO 8mm on Magnolia in Burbank, CA. (818 848 5522) PRO 8mm has been a major proponent of small gauge film since the early days and was orginally named Super 8 Sound.

J.S.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Cine Andy should be very happy. You can put your barge pole away. I checked with the US Agfa rep. and Agfa has indeed discontinued AVIPHOT 200D. I have no idea what will replace 200D for color small gauge color reversal.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Dwayne's all the way for E6. They run 4 days a week and have good throughput which means nice, fresh soup. Let's keep Dwayne's E6 line going forever!
doug

Post by doug »

Kevin, your 16mm E6 processing sounds a welcome service here in the UK. When you say one frame is lost in the middle of a 100ft roll I presume that's where you cut it in the dark ? Does that mean the frame is completely lost, or can the two bits of it be joined later with tape ?
Look forward to the test videos.
gaugefilm wrote:After calling around trying to get some 16mm reversal processed it became immediately apparent that nobody is really doing it anymore. Well not in the UK anyway. All labs I tried to contact either didn't pick up the phone, didn't message back or if they did message back required a minimum order of at least 1000ft. Basically a sorry state of affairs for people like myself who only shoot small amounts of 16mm reversal film per year.

It is for this reason I kicked into some testing and I've set up an E-6 and D-19 developing service using my 5L 50ft tanks. Obviously 100ft rolls need to be split down the middle and a frame is lost in the process but it's definitely better than having no service at all! I'm also quite pleased with the results (compared to using my 16mm 100ft tank). I could never get good results with that 16mm tank and it has always put me off processing 16mm films for myself and for my customers. However I have been pleasantly surprised with processing 16mm in my 5L 50ft tanks I think it's deep narrow construction just lets the chemicals circulate better than the wide short 16mm tank.

I will post some videos when I have more time but for now I just wanted to give you 16mm reversal shooters a processing option. I do hope this post isn't taken down. This isn't about profits or self promotion. It's not going to be a massive earner but it is going to give 16mm shooters somewhere to process small amounts of 16mm reversal film (at least until someone else can step in?).

Enjoy:

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/store/c15/16mm_Reversal.html" class="vglnk"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>gaugefilm</span><span>.</span><span>co</span><span>.</span><span>uk</span><span>/</span><span>store</span><span>/</span><span>c15</span><span>/</span><span>16mm</span><span>_</span><span>Reversal</span><span>.</span><span>html</span></a>
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
gaugefilm

Post by gaugefilm »

Hi Doug,

We've actually been told by Richard at Nano lab we don't have to lose that frame at all. Basically we cut the film in the middle, splice a bit of leader to the none emulsion side and then load the tank. After both sides are processed we simply splice both ends together. Keeping that middle frame. Simple. Big thanks to Richard for the tip.

The service is geared towards folks in the EU, personally I've had bad experiences with posting stuff too the states. I just avoid it now.

Cheers
Kevin
www.gaugefilm.co.uk
doug

Post by doug »

Kevin, that sounds good :D
I'll give it a go when I next have a roll ready for a bath. How long do you reckon for turnaround ? I guess you have to wait for a certain number of rolls to arrive ? like your super-8 set-up. I sent you one of these once and was pleased with result.