Moviola help

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

AMTrupianofilms

Moviola help

Post by AMTrupianofilms »

Hey guys,
So I'm looking at a moviola D-20 and I'm trying to understand how it works. I'm not familiar with moviolas, but I need a viewer for 16mm editing, which I'm looking to get into. Would anyone recommend using it for that purpose?
Mmechanic

Re: Moviola help

Post by Mmechanic »

The Moviola upright viewers have the intermittent sprocket wheel drive, Maltese cross mechanism.
The drive is not symmetrical, yet you can run backwards.
Additional modules can be interlocked by a simple shift of a shaft. Multi-image models exist but
one picture and multiple sound heads are more common.

For a start, I recommend you to find a Moviscop by Zeiss, a Muray (french), a HKS (german) or similar table-top viewer.
They are cheaper and easier to keep clean. The D-20 and the flatbed editors come into play with synch sound.

I have worked with many brands of viewer-editors, De Oude Delft (dutch), Prevost (italian), Steenbeck (pronounciation: stehnbeck), Schmid, Moviola, KEM, Kägi.
The upright Moviola is moveable and compact, something I like. On the other hand you have bigger screens and even projection with a flatbed
machine. The Dutch and the italian product offer the best image quality so far. I feel very comfortable with a Steenbeck when working on the sound elements.

Jump into it and follow your instinct.
AMTrupianofilms

Perfect! That helps me a lot. It's damn near impossible to find useful info on this stuff, even with Google.
AMTrupianofilms

Have you used a minette 16? they look pretty decent to me but I haven't heard much about them
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hope you get the Moviola up and running. They are beasts--In a good way I suppose. I just gave away a D-20 that I had been using at a hat/coat rack for the last 15 years. It was a great looking green machine. Hopefully she doesn't end up in the dump and the new owner gets her running again soon.

Good Luck
firsttimecaller

Post by firsttimecaller »

Hi gang,

I'm looking for a manual for this tabletop editor...Magnazync Moviola M-79.
A three gang sync editor I think used for dailies back in the day.

Someone left the gear engaged and the rubber wheel has a knock in it from the pressure over the years. Not sure if that;s such a big deal, a bit wobbly but it runs.
My question is the sprockets seem to be on the wrong side so the emulsion is running up...is that correct?

any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

firsttimecaller wrote:My question is the sprockets seem to be on the wrong side so the emulsion is running up...is that correct?
The M-50 viewer, which is a component of the M-79, was made in at least three versions; maybe the M-79, which is also known as the Moviola Junior, was as well. The M-50 was configured for film flow left to right, with sprocket teeth in the rear, while the M-50-L had film flow from left to right, with sprocket teeth in the front, and the M-50-R had film flow right to left, with sprocket teeth either in the front or the rear. An M-50-M was equipped with a bright Fresnel screen. Christy’s Editorial (http://christys.net/film.html#sales) still lists the M-50 and might be a source of information for the M-79/Junior.
firsttimecaller

Post by firsttimecaller »

Great info! Thanks for the link.
I have seen other versions of this machine but haven't had much luck finding out particular specs on them.
I'm worried that with the emulsion side up, unless the light is getting redirected from below, I might get some burn through while fine tuning edits.