My new 16mm timelapse film online

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

woods01

My new 16mm timelapse film online

Post by woods01 »

Hello, after a decent festival run I just made online my film "Forward Biased Condition".

https://vimeo.com/67433263

This was made with a Bolex with a Tobin intravalometer on expired Fuji 250D filmstock and then optically printed onto expired Kodak 200T (I've forgotten if it was Vision 1 or 2 but it was many years old!). The film print is quite a bit grainer than the digital file (which has its own charms). The final film print hasn't been digitized yet, the workprint was digitized on a JK optical printer with a Canon DSLR.

I had just got the intravalometer and shot this test film when my friend asked about putting some visuals to his electronic music and thus the film was born. In the back of my mind was Nicholas' superior "Bike Light" and I like to think of this as the motorized, spiritual sequel to that film.

John
slashmaster

Re: My new 16mm timelapse film online

Post by slashmaster »

woods01 wrote:Hello, after a decent festival run I just made online my film "Forward Biased Condition".

https://vimeo.com/67433263

This was made with a Bolex with a Tobin intravalometer on expired Fuji 250D filmstock and then optically printed onto expired Kodak 200T (I've forgotten if it was Vision 1 or 2 but it was many years old!). The film print is quite a bit grainer than the digital file (which has its own charms). The final film print hasn't been digitized yet, the workprint was digitized on a JK optical printer with a Canon DSLR.

I had just got the intravalometer and shot this test film when my friend asked about putting some visuals to his electronic music and thus the film was born. In the back of my mind was Nicholas' superior "Bike Light" and I like to think of this as the motorized, spiritual sequel to that film.

John
Worked out good. What did you strap the bolex to?
woods01

Post by woods01 »

The camera was just sitting on the dash board. I put a towel underneath to soften the vibrations a bit and then jury rigged it in place with some bungee cords and my hand was always holding it in place as a safety.
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Nice work dude…how long were the exposures?
cheers miles
woods01

Post by woods01 »

The exposure length was 1 second long with 1 second intervals. Lens was at a F16 with 2 stops of ND on it. I did some tests with a DSLR prior to shooting.