Super 8 projector that uses inexpensive bulb?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

videoguy326

Super 8 projector that uses inexpensive bulb?

Post by videoguy326 »

Hi guys,
Anyone know of any super 8 projectors that use inexpensive bulbs as well as have a speed control? I have a bell & howell that I'm currently using for off the wall transfers but replacement bulbs for them are expensive as hell.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Super 8 projector that uses inexpensive bulb?

Post by S8 Booster »

one option is the silent RUSS/PYCB R8/S8 projector which uses simple and cheap off the shelf halogen bulbs you can buy everywhere - can't remember the model but ill check it out.

"industry" bulbs may not spread the light fully even like pro projector bulbs but i think this phenomena is fun, a tale of the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMCzW1KLrUM

bulb:

shoot...
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

videoguy326 wrote:Hi guys,
Anyone know of any super 8 projectors that use inexpensive bulbs as well as have a speed control? I have a bell & howell that I'm currently using for off the wall transfers but replacement bulbs for them are expensive as hell.
Like all thing's sometime you get lucky , but good stuff comes at a price ! and bulbs are not cheap , joys of filmmaking , I use a elmo sc18 with a custom speed control , check 2nd hand stores or junk shops . Then you can buy a custom speed control ie for the elmo or a eumig for around 40 bucks .
The really good ones for top end telcine are not cheap , like the Beaulieu or the top elmos still go for big bucks and really bright bulbs at 150w to 250 w ,
The brighter the bulbs, the more there cost .
pip

Post by pip »

The 50 watt (spaceman type) bulbs give relatively poor illumination and are not cheap. The 150 watt bulbs give more even illumination than the 100 watt bulbs. The A1/232 150 watt bulb is relatively cheap and obtainable. The A1/231 100 watt bulb is cheaper and also obtainable. I have no experience of using the older A1/215 bulb (without built in reflector) but these seem to be cheaper still. The old EJM 150 watt bulb (for some Elmo projectors) is becoming increasingly more difficult to find and is expensive.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

nikonr10 wrote:
videoguy326 wrote:Hi guys,
Like all thing's sometime you get lucky , but good stuff comes at a price ! and bulbs are not cheap , joys of filmmaking , I use a elmo sc18 with a custom speed control , check 2nd hand stores or junk shops . Then you can buy a custom speed control ie for the elmo or a eumig for around 40 bucks .
The really good ones for top end telcine are not cheap , like the Beaulieu or the top elmos still go for big bucks and really bright bulbs at 150w to 250 w ,
The brighter the bulbs, the more there cost .
Just to let you know got my speed control for my Elmo sc18 from Van Eck video services he also has them for the Eumig ,
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Any projector that uses the popular EFP 12v 100w lamp.....can use a 50 watt 12v lamp that is available in hardware stores very cheaply...I think at less than half the cost of the EFP...some light loss but still bright in a completely darkened (black) room. Also, with the lower wattage should burn longer as well.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Forgot to mention that the PYCB/RUS projector is fully adjustable 0-36 frames FWD and rwd.
Optional sound sync system but possibly a tweak job there.

shoot..
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...