Silver Reclamation

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

Silver Reclamation

Post by Nigel »

I have dozens of rolls of film that are just old and I doubt I am going to shoot. Even if I did shoot them I don't think I would like the look of the color shifted grain.

So, what is the best way for me to reclaim the silver in this film?

I have access to a crucible for melting it's small but will hold a few ounces at a time.

Good Luck
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Silver Reclamation

Post by S8 Booster »

If i get it right;

There is no way you can sell them "as is" with no guarantee?

Suppose youd get better benefit that way?

I believe there are many who may want to shoot experimental for just learning or getting special effects?
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Nigel wrote:I have dozens of rolls of film that are just old and I doubt I am going to shoot. Even if I did shoot them I don't think I would like the look of the color shifted grain.

I have access to a crucible for melting it's small but will hold a few ounces at a time.

Good Luck
Hello Nigel ,
What films do you have and in what format ? where are you base ? if you do not want them I am more than willing to have them ?
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

nikonr10 wrote:
Nigel wrote:I have dozens of rolls of film that are just old and I doubt I am going to shoot. Even if I did shoot them I don't think I would like the look of the color shifted grain.

Good Luck
Hello Nigel ,
What films do you have and in what format ? where are you base ? if you do not want them I am more than willing to have them ?
Please PM me
aj

Post by aj »

I suppose you could process the unexposed film using a fixer which will take out the silver. Might work using a simple bucket
as there is no image to protect.
Then you could harvest the silver from that fixer. Doesn't the Photographer Formulary have kit for that?

Moneywise you would be better off to list and sell the films. You would be amazed how much mildly expired or old films sometimes bring in.
People collect and purchase for display. Some types of film are still good for experimental work.
With the gained money you could purchase a few ounces of pure silver...
Kind regards,

André
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Talk to Tommy at http://www.videofilmsolutions.com/

He may have some ideas for you, they do all sorts of things with reclaimed silver.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Given the price of silver combined with the cost of shipping I think I would be better off stripping the film of the silver.

Unless people are going to pay me at least $40 per roll plus cover the cost of shipping there is more value in the silver. Plus, I would be able to use my exposed short ends too.

Good Luck
woods01

Post by woods01 »

How long are these lengths of film? 400ft? What type of stock do you have?

How is the price of silver compare to the cost in time to setup a silver recovery system, recover the silver and then transport to a dealer Vs selling it via mail?
granfer

Post by granfer »

And just how much "recoverable" silver is there in, say, 400- feet of film, anyway?
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

aj wrote:I suppose you could process the unexposed film using a fixer which will take out the silver. Might work using a simple bucket
as there is no image to protect.
Then you could harvest the silver from that fixer. Doesn't the Photographer Formulary have kit for that?

Moneywise you would be better off to list and sell the films. You would be amazed how much mildly expired or old films sometimes bring in.
People collect and purchase for display. Some types of film are still good for experimental work.
With the gained money you could purchase a few ounces of pure silver...
The wise words of AJ ,
There are people out there who use outdated film ! like me ,
woods01

Post by woods01 »

The wise words of AJ ,
There are people out there who use outdated film ! like me ,
And me! I think most of the 16mm I've ever shot has been outdated stock. I'll shamelessly link my own film:
https://vimeo.com/31825344

Shot on decade old 7246, with few bits shot on Agfa XT (IIRC 1995 or earlier). Desaturated in post.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Good Luck
Nigel" nice idea I was thinking maybe I should do this to, my now out dated kodak 100D super 8 Ektachrome cartridges that I have left /and tri X,
As who would want them ? maybe we should start a new business , also maybe break up and recycle old leicas as who would want this old stuff in this age ? and them old lens for glass .