Recycling dud cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Muckymuck

Recycling dud cameras

Post by Muckymuck »

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few ebay duds - you know the type - you bid 99p on the offchance that an untested camera might work and be a bargain - it arrives - it doesn't work - can't complain.

It seems a shame to dump them as I would imagine many contain parts or components that can be used in the repair of others.

Is there anywhere I could send them (I wouldn't expect any money for them) so that they can be used to repair other cameras?

Seems a shame for potentially useful components in non-working cameras to end up in landfill!
marc

Re: Recycling dud cameras

Post by marc »

Spectra film and video in California keep a large inventory of camera parts for repairs. Call them and ask if they would be interested.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Can you give a list of dud cameras you wish to recycle? Maybe they would be of interest to someone on the forum.

John S.
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

Since I repair some super8 cameras, mostly those made by Beaulieu, Nizo and Canon, I would be interested in any junkers you might have of these brands.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

I've been doing repairs and service of Regular 8 cameras and lenses for the odd person here in Australia, and would certainly appreciate any junker R8 cameras or D-mount lenses. Broken wind-up 16mm cams or unuseable c-mount lenses also welcome. :) I'd be happy to cover the postage (even from overseas if it's a worthwhile spare).
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
etimh

Post by etimh »

Hey cameratech, what is that cam in your avatar pic? Pretty cool looking.

On topic, I've actually given a number of dead cameras to friends who just wanted one to put on their shelf for display. I have many of my own out and when they admire them I ask if they want a non-working one. A couple of people have really appreciated them and these dead guys get another life. Sort of.

Tim
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

Hi Tim,

my avatar camera is the turret version of the mythical Adastra series by Meopta, a modular R8 camera with interchangeable housings and a rotatable film chamber, way ahead of it's time. After years of planning and millions spent on marketing, mass production was due to start in May 1965. Unfortunately the first Super 8 cameras came out that same month.. the plug was pulled and only rumours of prototypes remain. It's sort of King Solomon's Mines for camera collectors. 8)

But back on topic, I agree that cameras can make wonderful ornaments. They are an art-form in themselves, as well as being historical objects, examples of the design and technology of their era. They can also act as memory triggers. I work for a rental house that has an impressive collection of old 35mm professional cameras in the foyer, but often it's my own collection of wind-up 8 and 16mm cameras on display in my service department that gets people excited, particularly older DPs who remember their first forays into filmmaking, or their parents home movies.

But what really gives me a buzz is that all these mechanical wonders can actually still be used to create new things, while we still have film. 100 year-old 35mm cameras, 90 year-old 16mm cameras, 80 year-old double 8mm cameras, 45 year-old S8 cameras, all still useable as long as they get a bit of love! And capable of imagery that in many ways still can't be replicated. So while there are still a few of us greying diehards who know how to get them running, I'm all for recycling the dead ones into organ donors! :D
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne
etimh

Post by etimh »

cameratech wrote:...the mythical Adastra series by Meopta...
Right on, thanks for the info.

Stumbled upon this very informative history website for others that might be interested:

http://www.meopta-history.com/

Check out "The Meopta Story."

Tim
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

It's possible no.w.here lab might be interested? http://www.no-w-here.org.uk/
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
DTNethery

Post by DTNethery »

bolextech wrote:Since I repair some super8 cameras, mostly those made by Beaulieu, Nizo and Canon, I would be interested in any junkers you might have of these brands.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis

Hi, Jean-Louis ,

I have a Canon 514 XL-S in good condition that has recently stopped working that I would be willing to donate to you for parts if it is not fixable. (you can have it for the cost of the shipping) . I'd rather it go to a repair man who would have a use for it to scavenge it for parts rather than just throw it in the garbage bin .

I posted elsewhere on the forum about the problem I'm experiencing with the camera (see below) . Based on your experience does this sound like it's fixable, or is my Canon 514 XL-S only good for "parts" now ?

--------

As I posted elsewhere in this forum:

have a Canon 514 XL-S which has run very well for many years with no problems , but it has suddenly stopped working .

It won't power up to run film through, but there is "some" power getting through from the batteries. When I push the Battery Test button the red light appears in the viewfinder indicating the batteries are fully charged (I used fresh AA batteries to test) , and the Auto Light Meter reacts normally as expected when pointing the camera to different lighting conditions from bright light (f16 or f11) to medium light (f8 - to - f4) , to dim light (f2 or f 1.4) .

But the bad thing is when I switch the camera from Off to R (run) , there is a sort of " electric humming" sort of sound combined with a slight "grinding" sound , which makes it sound like the motor is trying to run , but is stuck . This humming /grinding sound happens as soon as I turn it from Off to Run , and pressing the shutter release button has no effect . The humming/grinding sound is constant until I switch the camera back to the Off position. Opening the film door on the right side of the camera while pressing down on the shutter release confirms that the shutter is not opening , the claw is not moving , the circular film transport wheel is not turning . There's some sort of power getting to the camera from the batteries because of the electronic humming sound and the fact that the light meter is responding , but something else is stuck.

Does this sound familiar to anyone ? Is it fixable ? Is it more likely that the inner works have seized up and need to be cleaned and lubricated or does this sound more like an electrical short ? I've tried all the usual things like jiggling the handle and checking the battery compartment and terminals (they are clean, no corrosion) .

I haven't been able to find any repair instructions for disassembling and lubricating the Canon 514 XL-S . If anyone can point me towards such instructions I might be willing to give it a go . OR if what I'm describing is a known issue with the Canon 514 XL-S and anyone can recommend a good Canon repair service in the U.S.A. I'd appreciate it.

It would probably be easier to just get another Canon 514 XL-S from eBay , but until now this camera has functioned flawlessly and I've kept it in good shape , so if repairing an electrical short would fix it or if lubricating it would fix the problem and the cost is not too dear I might want to get this one repaired.

--------

markbaldry

Post by markbaldry »

I have a box of dud cameras if anyone is interested. They include a fujica and bolex k1. They are stored at my ex's at the moment as I didn't want to throw them away. Next time I'm over there I will make a full list and post it on here. I'm based in the uk.
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

I seldom see this model. Maybe, that's a good sign: that they don't break down often.
Or it's a regional thing. They're not used much in my area.

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada