Eumig Chemo Splicer - Film Cement

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

walter

Eumig Chemo Splicer - Film Cement

Post by walter »

Does somebody know what cement to use with the EUMIG Chemo Splicer Model Z01? Regular cement does not work. I know there was a special Fluid named ECS for this splicers, this is not available in the market anymore.
Maybe it can be mixed by its components.
Walter
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

I use the original which came with the splicer when my dad bought it (before I was born).

It looks like this:

The label reads "Eumig special film binding agent for Eumig E.C.S. System"

If you find it anywhere please let me know.

sunrise
garyb

Re: Eumig Chemo Splicer - Film Cement

Post by garyb »

I too am looking for a current day replacement for the Eumig bonding agent. Normal film cement does not appear to "melt" the film at the joint and produce the "weld" that Eumig intended. Does anyone know the chemical composition of the original Eumig solution?
BetterSense

Post by BetterSense »

Why should the splicer make any difference in the cement chemistry? It would seem to me that the composition of the film base should be the only thing that matters.

I heard you could make film splicing cement out of acetone with a bunch of shredded film dissolved in it to make it gap-filling. I have an old independent filmmaking book that suggests using equal parts acetone and ether, but I'm not sure how easy it is to come across ether nowadays.
f/22 and be there
BetterSense

Post by BetterSense »

I bought some acetone today and used it with my new splicer to do some simple splicing on scrap film. It appears to work. I did dissolve some film base in it but I was too impatient to wait for much of it to dissolve. I put the acetone in a fingernail polish jar which is perfect.
f/22 and be there
walter

Post by walter »

Well I do have the original Eumig ECS formula. I made some experiments and the fluid works. Unfortunately I found that the quality of the splicing is bad. I have seen that the splicing breaks at about 1/5th of the power of a conventional cement splicing. This fact is clear when you considder that the ECS splicing uses only 1/10th (or less) of the film contact surface than other systems use. The splicing does not break when projecting or winding the film, but it is weak compared with cement splicing. This is the reason why I do not use this Eumig Z1 / Z2 splicing machines anymore.
The original fluid evaporates extremly fast, and it causes cancer, maybe it is not on the market in some countries anymore for this reason.
If somebody has made good experiences with the original ECS splicing method, please send me information, maybe I did make a mistake when using this equipment.
Walter
ricohmite

Post by ricohmite »

I don't know if this is any help but I have an original review of this splicer and it notes that it does use a special cement that "contains no solids" whatever that means. It also discusses the increase is the area of film bonded and seems to think it works well especially in terms of noise made going through the gate and ability (naturally) to take after market magnetic tape application. Of course this may be before the test of time (although they usually made loops and ran them through the projector a million times).
71er

Post by 71er »

I got an Eumig Z01 splicer given two weeks ago and ofcourse had to try it. I could remember this thread so I tried hard to get a good result ...
Well, I used new Hama cement and it worked when I "filled" the groove in the top pressure "plate" with the cement. The emulsion has to lie bottom so that the cement can have its effect on the acetate base, otherwise there is not enough strength development. I left the splicer closed for one minute for curing.
I was very satisfied with the result.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
airbux

Post by airbux »

Hi,
I just found an original bottle Eumig Ecos special film binding agent.
I also have a nice Ecos chemo cutter (very good condition), including manual, and original box(box is in bad condition).
If anybody is interested just write me some lines, everything is free, including shipping from Austria,
Enjoy, Airbux

I also have an Eumig L2 movie light if anybody is interested.
beaulieu01

Post by beaulieu01 »

I purchased an Eumig Chemo Splicer on Ebay several days ago, with a bottle containing a lot of original Eumig cement.

After read this post, I tested the splicer NOT with the original cement, but with the cement I have always used (Agfa Cinecol), putting it directly on the film, after cutting and preforming it, with a soft brush before closing the head. After five minutes to dry cement the result was good like the other splicers I have.

I haven't tested the splicer with the original cement.

You can find the original Eumig cement formula at:
http://super8data.com/database/splicers ... ig_z01.htm

The formula was:
95% methhylene chloride (also called dichloromethane);
5% ethyl alcohol.

I recommend also this formula, by a book for professionals film projector operators, that I used many years ago to assembly 35 mm films before projection in a cinema, but also useful in my 8 and super 8 splicers including Eumig Z01:
90% acetone
10% acetic acid

This mixture and the components can be easily purchased in a pharmacy, you can ask to chemist to prepare it. I paid a day ago Euro 7.50 for 55 ml of this mixture made by chemist.

In Eumig Z01 I put the mixture directly on the film, like Agfa Cinecol described above, not like istructions say (on upper pressor). The result, after a minute to dry, was best that Agfa Cinecol and now I use it instead of other cements in all chemo splicers I have.

I think that Eumig Z01 works with all the film cements for chemo splicer on the market, simply putting cement on the film and not on the upper pressor like instructions say. The principle of chemo splicing is the same for all splicers: solve the support to make a welding. Eumig Z01 has advantage of his comb cutting, that leave film perfectly flat after splicing.

Please note that chemo splicers and these mixtures work only on triacetate films, not on polyester films (Single 8, several 3M super 8 films). The polyester film can be spliced only with adesive tape splicers.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I always used acetone; it works on acetate stock, not on polyester/mylar.
Robert Hughes