Setting up a film viewer / editor...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vickersdc

Setting up a film viewer / editor...

Post by vickersdc »

Hi,

I've got a Prinz Oxford 400 film editor / viewer, but it has a framing error that I can't seem to correct (using the normal controls)...

I'm not worried that the horizontal framing is out as that can be adjusted using the adjuster underneath the unit, but the main problem is that the film gate appears to be shifted out of alignment so you can see the bottom of one frame and the top of another (rather than an entire single frame).

Any ideas on how I can correct this please?

Many thanks,
David.
http://davidvickers.com: Traditional film photography.
bolextech

Re: Setting up a film viewer / editor...

Post by bolextech »

The Prinz is just like the Goko and others.

As you're pulling film slowly through the editor, push the little button in the center of the sprocket gear and that will unlock the frame height adjustment. Let go to lock when it seems OK. It might take a few trys before you get it perfect.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

I'll give it a go, thank you.

I've tried that, but there is no adjustment there. It does have vertical frame adjustment but that just appears to allow you to centre it on the screen - what I seem to need to do is adjust the actual film gate / sprocket hole alignment.

So, it's not a problem centring on the screen, it's almost as if the sprocket holes are not aligned properly with the actual negative image. I've no reason to suspect the film / camera (certainly at the moment anyway!).

Cheers,
David.
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

These machines are all dual8 and can switch between regular8 and super8 film.
On the later models, you simply change from one format to the other by rotating the screw on the front with a coin.

On the older ones, you have to remove the sprocket and flip it to the other side to change formats.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

Unfortunately the Prinz Oxford 400 is only Super-8. There are only two obvious adjustments, a focus knob and a vertical adjustment. There is a 'hidden' adjuster underneath the unit for horizontal adjustment. Both of the latter adjusters just set the picture in the viewer window, neither actually adjusts the film gate position.

What I need to do is adjust the distance between the film gate and the sprocket teeth to ensure proper alignment. I can see that this might just be a case of 'playing' with the unit and seeing what happens :)
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

OK, I've done it :D

On the film sprocket was a small grub screw. I loaded a film into the editor and loosened the grub screw. I could then hold the sprocket knob and turn the sprocket independently of the knob. This allowed me to watch the frame on the screen as I moved the sprocket. Once correct, I just tightened it up.

Total time to do: about 3 minutes!

Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Cheers,
David.