Digitally Preserving Old, Damaged Film and Sound

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Digitally Preserving Old, Damaged Film and Sound

Post by jaxshooter »

I have some old films I shot as a kid back in the early 70's that I want to transfer, yet much of the film has been damaged. My original plan was to transfer the damaged parts via a J/K optical printer with a digi camera head one frame at a time and have any jitter removed with software. Is there a better way? Some of these spots have practically no perf holes left. I've thought about Cinebug or Perfix machines, but for one thing, I'm not sure if they exist for super 8 and having worked with them I find the prospect of using one scary as it was a horribly tedious experience repairing perfs in the larger formats.

I also have some super 8 sound film that the track has been damaged in a regular pattern as there are droputs lasting several seconds every 5 or 6 seconds, I suspect the film was exposed to a magnetic field somewere and the track was partially erased in this pattern as I don't see any evidence of oxide damage. Is there any way at all the track can be digitally cleaned up with something resembling success? Perhaps if there is some low audio signal left in the damaged areas, they can be boosted?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
slashmaster

Re: Digitally Preserving Old, Damaged Film and Sound

Post by slashmaster »

jaxshooter wrote:I have some old films I shot as a kid back in the early 70's that I want to transfer, yet much of the film has been damaged. My original plan was to transfer the damaged parts via a J/K optical printer with a digi camera head one frame at a time and have any jitter removed with software. Is there a better way? Some of these spots have practically no perf holes left. I've thought about Cinebug or Perfix machines, but for one thing, I'm not sure if they exist for super 8 and having worked with them I find the prospect of using one scary as it was a horribly tedious experience repairing perfs in the larger formats.

I also have some super 8 sound film that the track has been damaged in a regular pattern as there are droputs lasting several seconds every 5 or 6 seconds, I suspect the film was exposed to a magnetic field somewere and the track was partially erased in this pattern as I don't see any evidence of oxide damage. Is there any way at all the track can be digitally cleaned up with something resembling success? Perhaps if there is some low audio signal left in the damaged areas, they can be boosted?
How many sprocket holes do you typically have damaged in a row? If you get yourself a projector that has a claw with more numerous fingers than the one you had you won't have to fix as much.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Re: Digitally Preserving Old, Damaged Film and Sound

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Yes... how many perforations are totally lost in a row? If you get it transferred with a FlashscanHD, the laser-stabilised image can help with serious perforation damage.

It can even transfer film that has no perforations left by calculating where the perforations should be. I believe it was up to a maximum of 15 in a row with no perforations at all? But don´t quote me on this (my memory might not serve me perfectly here...).