Viewer and Splicer Recommendations

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Viewer and Splicer Recommendations

Post by jaxshooter »

I am looking for a super 8 viewer with a good, bright , sharp screen, dual 8 would be nice , but not a necessity. I have a Wurker splicer, but the splices seem to labour intensive for the project I'm working on. I am attempting to repair some films for telecine , some are damaged to the point where they will have to be transferred one frame at a time via a J/K optical printer. I'm looking for a good viewer, rewind and splicer setup.

I am also looking for recommendations on a dual 8 projector. I'm looking for something quiet,gentle and with multple speeds.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
grainy

Re: Viewer and Splicer Recommendations

Post by grainy »

FYI spectra sells reconditioned splicers and supplies, and they do telecine so I'm guessing they're selling the preferred models. Scroll down a bit here:
http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Cameras.html
71er

Post by 71er »

For Super 8 I'm using a Braun SB1 viewer; it never had any negative effect on any of my films and it is easy to handle. Rewind goes over the top of the equipment - so there's a lot of space for example for film cleaning.
The fasted splicer I know is the the Agfa F8S: all working steps are done with one move of the handle. Personally I prefer cemented splices though.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
reflex

Post by reflex »

The Elmo 912. Dual format, solid as a tank. I have two, so PM me if you're interested in my spare. It'll be a lot cheaper than Spectra. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

jaxshooter wrote:I am looking for a super 8 viewer with a good, bright , sharp screen . . .
I've always liked the Minette viewers. None is dual format, but the regular 8mm viewers can be gotten inexpensively. The Minette S-5 Super 8 viewer is one I like a lot. It's of metal and glass construction with minimal plastic (the spindles are usually plastic although early S-5 viewers had metal spindles) and the picture is clear and bright.
Wade

Post by Wade »

jaxshooter wrote: some are damaged to the point where they will have to be transferred one frame at a time via a J/K optical printer.
Have you done this before on a JK Printer? It's registration pins don't entirely fix slight changes of frame position which cumulatively look like jitter when seen a regular speed. At least that is the case with my printer. The perfs have to be good or repaired --or else try to meticulously align each frame --- which is a frightening prospect. :cry:
Wade
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Thanks for pointing that out, Wade. I've never used a J/K beofre, but I have experience with optical printers back in the day. I used to do opticals on a custom built system that utilised a Mitchell camera head.

It's my understanding that software exists to remove much, if not all the jitter. I have a roll of Fuji Velvia I shot a couple of years ago that has jitter due to the extra thickness of the stock, I'm told there is software that can minimize or reduce this, is this not the case or would this method be too expensive/labour extensive?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Wade

Post by Wade »

jaxshooter wrote:It's my understanding that software exists to remove much, if not all the jitter. I have a roll of Fuji Velvia I shot a couple of years ago that has jitter due to the extra thickness of the stock, I'm told there is software that can minimize or reduce this, is this not the case or would this method be too expensive/labour extensive?
I've stabilized some perf-damaged footage with After Effects before. It can work but, at least my old version, has some limitations. There is always some trial and error involved, so it can take a while to get it right. I'm not really familiar with the other programs or how much they cost. I'm not sure what to make of jitter caused by film stock thickness. If adjustment can't be made, then using a different telecine unit is all I can think of. I've used Svema, Orwo, old Univex stock, Tri-X, Plus-X, Vision, Ektachrome and never had a problem on the JK. But Kodachrome always has given me a problem. I have to over-tighten the gate unit and I increase DOF just in case. Then it looks great.
Wade