GodDammit!! A new 8mm camera...;)

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

carllooper

Re: GodDammit!! A new 8mm camera...;)

Post by carllooper »

Being of a generation that was politicised in the 70s, I can't help but interpret the app as just another stupid way of defining a particular social group, such as 8mm filmmakers.

The app/algorithm itself is not the problem per se (it is a technical accomplishment), but the way in which it is combined with the name "8mm vintage video camera", inevitably modifys the meaning of "8mm", and by implication, 8mm filmmakers, as those who enjoy defects.

Indeed so pervasive is the framing of 8mm in this way that many filmmakers have been persuaded that such defects are desireable - not as the exception to the rule (or for artistic reasons) - but as the rule.

Of course, what is so laughable is the whole name:

"8mm vintage video camera"

Judging by the d/effects they simulate they obviously don't mean that Sony video format that was around for a while. Indeed, judging by the d/effects they don't even mean just 8mm.

But in appropriating the term "8mm" they tap into non-technical assumptions regarding 8mm, even though the d/effects they simulate could also be achieved when abusing 16mm or 35mm technology.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Not sure what all the fuss is over something costing only 99 cents that's hardly a threat to real 8mm film. I think it's a very clever app. The train station stuff actually looks very old-authentic, though certainly not anything like super 8. Gonna buy it and play with it. So while you guys are bitching and moaning, I'll be having fun! :)
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

MovieStuff wrote:Not sure what all the fuss is over something costing only 99 cents that's hardly a threat to real 8mm film. I think it's a very clever app. The train station stuff actually looks very old-authentic, though certainly not anything like super 8. Gonna buy it and play with it. So while you guys are bitching and moaning, I'll be having fun! :)
I agree. The app/algorithm itself is not the problem. It is a technical accomplishment, ie. to be appreciated on that level. It is clever.

The problem, at least from one bitchy/moaner like myself, is in the politics of it's naming.

It's hard enough organising funding for an 8mm film without the technology being characterised as defective. It's even harder when PR gurus think there isn't any problem in suggesting a simulation of the mistakes (or artistic intentions) of a photographer, are somehow a function of 8mm technology.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
mattias

Post by mattias »

it looks better and more interesting than the raw video, i think that's a more interesting comparison than talking about real film. i never used my phone as a camera before i installed "vignette", now i use it all the time. hipsters may be annoying but they generally know what's cool. ;-)
rlorenz2

Post by rlorenz2 »

Shooting actual film is pretty cool too.
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
8mm

Post by 8mm »

As long as you can't hold the actual film in your hands, splicing it together with filmcement and playing it on a film projector it is no 8mm film to me. This is digital video and nothing else!
I wonder when they are going to make an app for 1980s video style with low contrast images, bad color and foggy pictures, that's the worst type of moving images I know.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Digital tying to imitate film.
Film trying to imitate digital? Never...
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Most of it still looks really videoish with the same old "old film effects" The best of it looks like trashed discolored samples from the 70's. Kodak should sue them for defamation of charactor
Reborn member since Sept 2003