Canon 814 xl-s internal filter.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

bakasutchi

Canon 814 xl-s internal filter.

Post by bakasutchi »

Hello, I have recently acquired a Canon 814 xl-s and am interested to know that when the internal filter is switched out is there still a clear plastic filter in place. I know that with the Beaulieu 4008 this is the case. The reason I am asking is that when exposing tungsten balanced film in daylight would it be advantageous to use a screw in 85b filter for better definition? Regards, Stuart.
MIKI-814

Re: Canon 814 xl-s internal filter.

Post by MIKI-814 »

bakasutchi wrote:Hello, I have recently acquired a Canon 814 xl-s and am interested to know that when the internal filter is switched out is there still a clear plastic filter in place. I know that with the Beaulieu 4008 this is the case. The reason I am asking is that when exposing tungsten balanced film in daylight would it be advantageous to use a screw in 85b filter for better definition? Regards, Stuart.
No, I think this is not the case. Also, if it would be like that... what would be the point of using an external 85 filter? The clear filter that you mention would remain in place, no?
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

bakasutchi wrote:Hello, I have recently acquired a Canon 814 xl-s and am interested to know that when the internal filter is switched out is there still a clear plastic filter in place. I know that with the Beaulieu 4008 this is the case. The reason I am asking is that when exposing tungsten balanced film in daylight would it be advantageous to use a screw in 85b filter for better definition? Regards, Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Beaulieu cameras are quite unique in this respect; having a gelatine filter of some kind in place at all times. No other camera comes to mind that does this.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
71er

Post by 71er »

No other camera comes to mind that does this.
The Zeiss Ikon Moviflex's also have this "clear filter".
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

Good to know. I've never encounter a Moviflex before. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
bakasutchi

Post by bakasutchi »

So does that mean with un-notched cartridges I should use a screw in filter for best picture quality? Stuart
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

That depend on the condition of the internal gel filter.
If it is in good shape, you should see no difference between using the built-in 85 or using an external screw-on 85.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

bakasutchi wrote:So does that mean with un-notched cartridges I should use a screw in filter for best picture quality? Stuart
I bet the internal filter of your 814 XL-S is in perfect condition. Maybe not the case with cheaper-older models.