PTC 1. The next step.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

flatwood

Re: PTC 1. The next step.

Post by flatwood »

That's great. Glad to hear it. Now if we could only get that one cart from the dude in Boston.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
christoph

Post by christoph »

Sparky wrote:Could do with some advice as to what to do next. I'm all for distributing the raw transfer to all the partakers- maybe on DVDs or is there a good way to host it online for selected downloading by those involved?
wow, never thought this would happen, but it seems it all worked out in the end :)

as for distributing the raw footage:
the best way to do this would be bittorrent, it's been designed for exactly these sort of things!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

it will take one person with a pretty fast upload speed in the beginnig, but after that it uses the bandwith of everybody involved and avoids any extra cost (hosting big files for a lot of people traditionally is very expensive). the original prores footage would be optimal, but it might be worth transcoding everything to a smaller codec (mjpeg for easy handling and compability, or h264 for smallest file size) and seeding this out first so people can start editing faster and then set up a big torrent with the original files later.

how many charts is it anyway?
++ c.
blanka

Post by blanka »

Sparky wrote:Films are on their way to me by registered mail- should have them Monday. I ordered a USB hard drive which should arrive soon too. Then they're all off to Kent for transfer.
Could do with some advice as to what to do next. I'm all for distributing the raw transfer to all the partakers- maybe on DVDs or is there a good way to host it online for selected downloading by those involved? I think it best to get the raw footage out as otherwise it could all disappear into the mists of time again while editing is done and music chosen. We've all waited long enough me thinks. Then at least we can see what was shot and anyone involved could plan an edit. What do you guys think?
Mark
all it took was some gentle pressure in the right place
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D 8O :D
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

WOW!! :D
Angus

Post by Angus »

I cannot wait to see the results!!

Fantastic news that the films are still around and that Morris has done the right thing.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
livio

Post by livio »

Flatwood wrote: That's great. Glad to hear it. Now if we could only get that one cart from the dude in Boston.
I dont' even remember who the dude in Boston was...
But how many times carts disappeared an re-appeared? I can't really remember, it is quite a while I'haven't been following this thread...
I'm quite excited now. Sparky, did you had a look to the films? Are there any pictures on them? Or are them just long black acetate stripes? :wink:
And please: do not desappear you too! :wink:
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

livio wrote:......And please: do not desappear you too! :wink:
Now Im wondering about the curse of the PTC carts. Is it like a black hole or worm hole? Maybe its a Cart Hole.

Maybe the curse only hits if you dont return them???
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Please don't worry- I know I've not been around here much of late- that's life, but I really just want to see the results as much as any of you and I think we've all waited long enough. Whatever the reasons were for the long delay, Morris has sent me the films now and I will send them hopefully tomorrow to Kent who kindly offered to do the transfer. From then my plan is to distribute it as quickly as possible to all you guys in raw format. I don't have the time or ability to do the fantastic works that Lostcoyote and Flatwood have done on the PTC2 project- looks really great guys! And rather than this just disappear in editing with someone for a few more years (ALL collaborative projects seem to be doomed to very long completion times!) I really think it best to get the footage out there, then if anyone feels inclined we'll maybe later see an edit. It's a shame not to wait for the final cut but it really feels like I'd imagine if Kodak found one of my few lost K40 reels behind a desk when they tore down the swiss labs and returned it to me several years later- elation! I can't wait to see the footage but will resist the temptation to view them until they're telecine'd lest I damage them in some way. I did look at the ends of the Dwaynes processed reels and there are definitely images there! maybe a bit dark but images nonetheless! So once I've figured out a way to distribute, expect to see yours and everyone elses films soon!
Mark
Last edited by Sparky on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aj

Post by aj »

Sparky wrote:Image
From one flickr account to the other :)
Updated in the meantime, luckily.

Congratulations all, on this milestone. Certainly an exceptional long mile :)

If this Boston guy is this yelling ALFREDO from the long gone past then don't bother I suppose. Apart from the confrontational style his promises are worthless too. And not only according to my personal experience :(
Kind regards,

André
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Thanks Christoph for the suggestion of bittorent- I thought that was just for naughty illegal filesharing. I'll look into it and ask a few nerdy friends and see if I can set up a torrent- are there any that you'd recommend (I really don't have a clue how they work!) We have a 20meg adsl account at work, not sure of upload speed but maybe I could set one up from there. Just so long as it's guaranteed free of hackers and viruses from Russia! (or anywhere else ;-) )
Mark
christoph

Post by christoph »

it's rather unfortunate that bittorrent got such a bad reputation. the protocol itself is totally legal, and in fact very clever...

the idea is that you have a file (or bunch of files) on your local harddisk, and create a small torrent file based on that which you can upload to a tracker (there are several free and legal ones, so you dont need to use the dodgy movie sites).

people can download the torrent file and their client will start a direct connection to the computer where the big file is located. the clever bit is that as soon as they have a small part of the file, new people who join the torrent can download it from all the people who are participating.

this means that it doesn't really matter if one or hundred people download the file, cos nobody has to wait till the file has been fully downloaded by more people. it also means that by the time the first download has been completed, most of the others will have already 90% or the file too without slowing things down (and after that everything speeds up a lot anyway)

on a 1mbit/sec upload line, you can seed about 350MB/hour initially, or about 8.5GB per day. i've participated in torrents that moved over 50GB of data without problems ;)

++ christoph
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Hi Christoph, do you have a recommended tracker? The only problem I can see with this is that I for instance have a 1GB limit on my home account after which I pay loads for each additional GB. I have no Idea how big the transfer file will be but Kent specified a 32GB drive minimum so it could get quite expensive to download. But many probably have unlimited downloads so it may not be an issue. Any preferences from any of the many people who shot on the project? I'm sure I could make a compressed version if needed for any with limited bandwidth.

Kent is away on his hols till next week so that gives me time to splice the reels onto one big one as he suggested. I wish I had a tape splicer as last time I sent him films for transfer (the K40/64T test reels) he complained about my glued splices- but that's all I've got.
Mark
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Theres only a small time internet service and a slow connection here in Tylerville. I'll have to get it on a dvd from somebody who does the download. Maybe somebody here in the skates.

Main thing about any project IMO is that once started, completion is the only alternative. Thanks for pulling it together here at the end of it. I'm definately proud of you for doing that.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Just finished splicing the reels together onto one larger one ready for posting on Monday to Kent who has very generously offered to transfer them to HD for us for nothing! :D :D We decided it was probably best to transfer them at 50fps 50p straight so on playback it'll look twice as fast as normal. We can add duplicate frames later to correct the playback speed but this'll maximise economy of storage space for re-distribution.
As I was winding them I thought I'd have a look at the end of roll#4 with a loupe to see what happened to poor old Lastcoyote and his 2 seconds worth of leftovers. Well I'm afraid it's worse than that- looks like Tlatosmd had a problem with his camera because most of that roll appears to be his and it's all very underexposed. I'm thinking maybe he had his camera on high speed (60fps or so) that caused massive underexposure and 30 seconds worth would have been more than double what he was meant to shoot. The result is that there's about 4ft of Rollefs ski-jump (sorry Rollef) and nothing else- Mogzy and Lastcoyote were shooting an empty cart I'm afraid ! :cry: There seemed to be images on the rest of the rolls though so we'll see soon enough.
Mark