Second Sample - 100D

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

lealar

Second Sample - 100D

Post by lealar »

Here are the results of a second roll I tested with a Nizo S560 on automatic exposure. Colors are closer to what I expected.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to miss E-64T!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqe4Ho6_YiY
MIKI-814

Re: Second Sample - 100D

Post by MIKI-814 »

Thank you for posting. Kodak should pay you for this promotion 8)
super8man

Post by super8man »

One word: HOT. As in, the whites were somewhat blown out. Not sure if that's based on your video transfer or a slight overexposure.

Interesting...I liked the vintage Sesame Street Vignette look it had (if you grew up in the early 70s on SS, you would know it's a compliment!!).

But yeah, there were some shots that worked well for this stock and others where it was not quite up to the task. Again, without knowing all the specifics it's hard to say. It could be that a camera with a lower contrasting lens would work better for this filmstock. Will be interesting to see how my Nikon R8 and Canon 814XLS with their lens coatings will react to the filmstock.

And hey, just watching that makes me want to move to NYC. Sign me up!!!

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it. Honest.
Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
avortex

Post by avortex »

Expect a VERY VERY WARM image with the Canon. Your eyes will burn while projecting the film... I hope the Nikon, with its cooler lens, make a good combo with this stock...
Marc
super8man

Post by super8man »

I am uploading some Regular 8mm in Ektachrome 100D as we speak to youtube (Wrastlemania). I see no reason why the filmstock won't look similar in super 8 (except for a gain in sharpness).
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

One word: HOT. As in, the whites were somewhat blown out. Not sure if that's based on your video transfer or a slight overexposure.
Most likely the transfer. I've shot this stock in Reg 8mm and it came out well and like it better than 64T. I have a Super 8 roll on its way for me to test out. Looking forward to it.
lealar

Post by lealar »

Hi Mike:

I've heard of different lenses having different coatings and such, but never knew they affected color! Had I known this I would have gone with the Canon 1218, being my 814 is in the shop. The Nizo being contrasty may explain why I had a Plus-X I shot with it last winter that came back the same way, with very dark blacks, as well as some Kodachrome. Does your site have a list or any technical data explaining the lens' coatings/behaviors/characteristics?

The hotness was probably due to my videocam. When I look at the projected image, I see detail in those areas, but couldn't avoid clipping as much as I tried. Still, for a quick-jammie home brew method it does the job fairly well.

Yes. I grew up in the 70's with SS...I know exactly what you're talking about...many thanks.

If you ever plan on a visit here, let me know and we can go "shoot" some NY'ers..he he.
Last edited by lealar on Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lealar

Post by lealar »

MIKI-814 wrote:Thank you for posting. Kodak should pay you for this promotion 8)
Hey Miki thanks for this!
super8man

Post by super8man »

Thanks - I hope to get over there someday...my wife ran the NY and Boston Marathons but I stayed home with the kids. My turn is next (but not marathons).

I don't have that type of resource on my website unfortunately. But, in my experience, I would look to see if anyone plans on shooting 100D with an Elmo camera - The ones I have had had excellent low contrast yet cool but nice color rendition (non-technical, I know). They are seriously underrated but have marvellously sharp lenses. "Angus" on this forum use to swear by his so I took his advice and picked up a Honeywell Elmo Super 110 way back when and was pleasantly surprised. I have since sold it though.

Cheers,
Mike
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Interesting test film, I too see a similarity to the old Sesame Street look. I'm looking forward to getting a chance at this film but I think it will be some time before I do as I'm well stocked on 200t, E64, Tri-X and Plus-X to last me the summer.

Your work overall is very good and inspiring. I enjoyed your "In Morning" piece as I watched it this morning :)

What is your setup for your DIY telecine? The quality is very good.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I wonder how 100D will look when using my Minolta Autopak 8 D-6? I plan to use a ND filter and keep the Fstops between 8 and 5.6. Also I always use a sky filter then came with the camera. I guess I will need to just shoot some film and see what happens. 64T always looked great with this camera. I was thinking about getting one of those adjustable neutral density filters. Apparently they have 9 different settings.
lealar

Post by lealar »

woods01 wrote:Interesting test film, I too see a similarity to the old Sesame Street look. I'm looking forward to getting a chance at this film but I think it will be some time before I do as I'm well stocked on 200t, E64, Tri-X and Plus-X to last me the summer.

Your work overall is very good and inspiring. I enjoyed your "In Morning" piece as I watched it this morning :)

What is your setup for your DIY telecine? The quality is very good.
Many thanks!

I use a unit I bought a few years ago from Ebay very similar to this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Movie-Film-Projecto ... 20b053b66d
lealar

Post by lealar »

Shanec8mm wrote:I wonder how 100D will look when using my Minolta Autopak 8 D-6? I plan to use a ND filter and keep the Fstops between 8 and 5.6. Also I always use a sky filter then came with the camera. I guess I will need to just shoot some film and see what happens. 64T always looked great with this camera. I was thinking about getting one of those adjustable neutral density filters. Apparently they have 9 different settings.
When you use an ND filter do you manually expose? I once used one on the Canon 814 while on auto exposure, saw the aperture open accordingly, but my footage came back dark, and looked as if I had placed sunglasses over the lens. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if I screwed something up by doing it incorrectly.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

lealar wrote:
Shanec8mm wrote:I wonder how 100D will look when using my Minolta Autopak 8 D-6? I plan to use a ND filter and keep the Fstops between 8 and 5.6. Also I always use a sky filter then came with the camera. I guess I will need to just shoot some film and see what happens. 64T always looked great with this camera. I was thinking about getting one of those adjustable neutral density filters. Apparently they have 9 different settings.
When you use an ND filter do you manually expose? I once used one on the Canon 814 while on auto exposure, saw the aperture open accordingly, but my footage came back dark, and looked as if I had placed sunglasses over the lens. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if I screwed something up by doing it incorrectly.
well that is a good question.I have never shot a film using a ND filter, but I would assume that the auto exposure would set the appropriate Fstop. I could be wrong here. Many here have recommended using a ND filter with 100D. Maybe I will just try the film with a polarizing lens instead. Not sure what to so here? Help! LOL.
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

lealar wrote: Never thought I'd say this, but I'm going to miss E-64T!
I'm gonna miss 64T - but I knew I was gonna say that! :)

Give it time Art, you are soon gonna find the perfect Cam/Stock combo and make some excellent films for us to enjoy on 100D!

Saying that I didn't really have any issues with what you have shot here. :wink:

Jamie