Ektachrome 100D Sample

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

avortex

Re: Ektachrome 100D Sample

Post by avortex »

Yes, Kent, for transferring is fine, but for projecting I find its excessive saturation a bit anoying...
If you combine this stock with a warm lens (say a Canon 1014) the results are not very pleasant. Skin tones in particular suffer a lot. Everybody talks about how Velvia is not very accurate in this respect, but E100D is worst.
I still prefer it over E64T for its neutral grain, but color rendition was far better in the older stock...

I insist: for general purpose, the best reversal stock out there is Fuji 64T, but it's not available in super-8 cartridges, just single-8. Still dreaming with a Wittner or Spectra release...
Marc
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Interesting about the Fuji 64T... does it have the same amount of grain as the Kodak 64T? I really don´t like the grain on Kodak 64T, specifically the blueish grain that is even more pronounced if you underexpose Kodak 64T a little bit.
avortex

Post by avortex »

No, Fuji 64T is a totally different beast: almost grainless, amazing definition (nearly the same as Velvia) and beautiful natural colors (not over-saturated).
Give it a try with your Fujica and you'll be very surprised...

By the way, I agree with you about the grain in the Ektachrome 64T, but the color in this stock was very good when using a 85B filter. I always thought that the E100D would have those colors but without the grain, and after testing it I was a bit disappointed...
Marc
cinelys

Post by cinelys »

avortex wrote:I insist: for general purpose, the best reversal stock out there is Fuji 64T, but it's not available in super-8 cartridges, just single-8. Still dreaming with a Wittner or Spectra release...

I agree to this point , I just add that I use to load empty super8 carts sold by Wittner with F 64 T.
Taking care to lubricate with a fine lubbe , and to load correctly will allow you to get good results without jitter.
Most of the time I use this stock with Tungsten light and I think it is the finest color reversal stock availaible.
With day light , I find a little bit too "blue" with the 85A filter.
avortex

Post by avortex »

Try using the correct 85B filter: perfect results! :wink:

I'm tempted with the auto-loading -specially since Wittner sells the film in cans- , but I find it difficult and not that cheap. A cartridge release should be the best option, at least for me...
Marc