Avid Free DV - good quality codec?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Avid Free DV - good quality codec?

Post by Patrick »

I'm trying to import a video clip into Ulead Video Studio but the program keeps freezing. Turning the pc off and on (and defragmenting) repeatedly makes no difference. Of course I could use Windows Movie Maker but Ive heard not so good things about the codec that it uses, not to mention it's lack of precision when making cuts.

I have had the free software Avid Free DV stored on a little used pc for quite some time but haven't used it yet. For anyone who's used it. does it have a good quality codec? Or does it have the option of using other codecs?
MovieStuff

Re: Avid Free DV - good quality codec?

Post by MovieStuff »

I'm no expert on DV codecs but I know there are type 1 and type 2 codecs so you need to see which your NLE requires. On some NLE systems they are not compatible and will lock up your NLE when you try to import or put them on the timeline.

Roger
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks Roger. I was just doing a straight import (open file) with regards to Ulead. Wasn't trying to use an external codec. Other than that, all the other functions on Ulead seem to work normally so far. I also tested it with another file created by Ulead and it froze when trying to open that one too.

And dammit, Ive just found out that Avid Free DV is a winzip file. I can't seem to find a way to open those on this pc. When I click on such a file, this winzip opener software thing appears and says that it's expired.
BK

Post by BK »

Patrick, just a thought. Are your project settings set to NTSC and you are trying to import a PAL clip?

I know that Avid Free DV accepts files with certain Quicktime mov and DV avi codec since it's a basic version and quality wise it's good.

Bill
Last edited by BK on Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The settings in Ulead are set to PAL. Though I can easily have the option of opening a clip into Ulead before setting it to PAL / NTSC etc. Whichever way I do it, it always freezes.

Ive heard that with Windows XP (that I am running on this pc) that you can open winzip files (assumably without any additional software.) Is this true?
threeinv

Post by threeinv »

Patrick wrote:Ive heard that with Windows XP (that I am running on this pc) that you can open winzip files (assumably without any additional software.) Is this true?
This is true with Windows XP Professional; I'm not sure about XP Home version. If you right-click on the zip file, are there any promising options?

-- Derrick
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Patrick if you can't open it just email it to me and I'll open it and email it back to you

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Cool thanks Scot!
ewanuno

Post by ewanuno »

a bit late i know, but you should try http://www.7-zip.org/ its like winzip but free.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Ah cool thanks for that. By trying the right mouse click options, I was able to access some files and folders within the main file itself. Though some were still classified as zip files. Eventually, I came across some sort of installation page but it requires a serial number and authorization code...an odd thing for supposedly free software!

Vidwerk kindly gave me a copy of the software so I assume that he must have the serial number and authorisation code. Ive sent you a pm, Vidwerk!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Perhaps discussing the sharing of serial numbers is not the best thing to do on the forum...

The serial is supposed to be for the guy who purchased the software. Not for all his friends...
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Perhaps discussing the sharing of serial numbers is not the best thing to do on the forum...

The serial is supposed to be for the guy who purchased the software. Not for all his friends...
True but 7-zip is open source freeware

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Scotness wrote:True but 7-zip is open source freeware
Open source free software that needs a serial? Is someone trying to scam money for free programs? I know one of my clients was scammed to pay for Media Player Classic. I told her it was free and recommended it to her, then after she "purchased" the download for it she contacted me complaining that is wasn´t free... :roll:

Free software that needs a license sounds very alarming to me. Perhaps it is some kind of shitty Trojan or something? Or a way for a scammer to get your credit card info (if you´d follow a link to get "the serial"), or something like that.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Okay the program has been properly installed but a confusing message comes up that says:

"The avid application could not configure the Windows Audio Mixer. Windows audio will not function properly until you manually configure the Windows Audio Mixer. To manually configure the Windows Audio Mixer use the Sound Card Configuration settings located in the settings window."

Ive looked through this Avid program but I can't find any 'settings window.' Any Avid users know where it would likely be? And if I am fortunate to locate it, how do I go about configuring it correctly so that there are no audio issues?
BK

Post by BK »

Patrick, run your Avid and create a new project in PAL you should see this window on the left of your screen:

Select settings, the one immediately right next to bins, then double click on Audio project ( second from top ) and you see 4 tabs in a new window that pops up with the names, main, input, output, hardware. Click on hardware tab and right on the top your should see the name of your sound card listed, if not see if you can select anything else such as software decode by clicking on the strip. If it is greyed out then it means your soundcard is incompatible. Avid is very strict with hardware and likes Soundblaster compatible cards. Hope you'll get it to work.

Bill