Colour correcting negative film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Pj

Colour correcting negative film

Post by Pj »

I have been looking into colour correcting negative Super 8 film. I know there are some software tools that are available to correct negative stills {they usually come with scanners]. Many of these are quite quick and simple, they automate the colour correcting process and can be applied to different film types. I am not sure if these can be adapted to a avi movie or if there's anything developed for specifically for movies that can run as a plug-in in editing software.

Does anyone know of any specific software tools or websites tutorials that would simplify the process of colour correcting a negative movie.

Thanks
P
Mitch Perkins

Re: Colour correcting negative film

Post by Mitch Perkins »

In Premiere Pro 2.0, apply "invert", "cineon converter", then "autocolor". Adjustments can be made in "cineon converter", most notably "10 bit white point".

Should do the trick.

If xferring yourself, the negs should generally look purplish-brown, not too bright or too dim.....experiment. You'll need a filter pack between the projector lamp source and rear of gate - turqoise w/lots of blue.

HTH,
Mitch
Pj

Post by Pj »

Thanks, I haven't got much negative film at the moment to exoeriment with but I will be trying different filters and blue/turqoise LEDs. I have Adobe Premiere 1.5 I don't think it has the cineon converter.

P
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

You'll need a filter pack between the projector lamp source and rear of gate - turqoise w/lots of blue.
Got a specific filter ID number for this if I were to look it up in the photography catalog?
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Davideo wrote:
You'll need a filter pack between the projector lamp source and rear of gate - turqoise w/lots of blue.
Got a specific filter ID number for this if I were to look it up in the photography catalog?
Sorry, no - I got one of those sample swatch booklets from the local camera rental place (WFW) years ago and the filters (7.5 X 9cm) all got separated from their ID sheets.....not very meticulous on my part.....

The good news is that you'll be hitting the white balance on the camera for each scene with a different light source anyway, (we use Sony VX2000 or Z5U for HDV), which means that whatever combination of green(s) and blue(s) you put together, the WB will be normalizing the scene. The filter pack is just to help the whole deal move away from extreme orange toward that classic neg purple-brown. If people's black hair (or anything you can ID as black) shows white, with grain visible (not blown out), you're well on your way to trouble-free CC on the edit program.

Pj - you definitely gotta get PP 2.0, cause the cineon converter is what's going to make the negs pop and sing. I'll try to post a sample still.....

Mitch