What to do with old cameras?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Actor

What to do with old cameras?

Post by Actor »

If you're like me you don't have enough storage space. I have a lot of old super8 and reg8 cameras that don't work (either DOA from eBay or KIA) with no hope of repair. I'm inclined to throw them in the trash and let Waste Management haul them away but somehow that seems blasphemous.
Patrick

Re: What to do with old cameras?

Post by Patrick »

There's an online Yahoo group called Freecycle in which members give away unwanted goods to other members. The main intent behind this is to reduce landfill. There's usually a local Freecycle group in most major cities or towns.
BK

Post by BK »

Offer them as spares on the spares parts forum here before you recycle the cameras , other members might just be looking for that particular part for their camera.

Bill
etimh

Post by etimh »

Actor wrote:I'm inclined to throw them in the trash and let Waste Management haul them away but somehow that seems blasphemous.
Please don't throw them away! Both Patrick's and BK's suggestions are right on--I particularly dig using the Freecycle thing. But if you do want to make a few bucks, bundle up 4-5 or more junk cameras and sell them on ebay or post them on craigslist. I sold three old non-running cams "for parts only!" on ebay and made $35. I guarantee they'll sell to someone for something. For parts or someone might just want them for display or demonstration. If you don't want the hassle just advertise them as free giveaways on craiglist--similar to Freecycling.

But don't just trash them--someone will take them and find a use for them. No matter how common or junk they are, super 8 cameras are still artifacts that won't be around forever. I imagine that most of them that are going to be "found" somewhere (in attics, basements, etc.), have already been discovered, and of course there are no new ones coming from anywhere. Someday we may have to cannibalize these junk cameras to simply make the decent ones run. Who knows.

And don't get me started on the landfills... :)

Tim
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

No matter how common or junk they are, super 8 cameras are still artifacts that won't be around forever.
Boy, that sure solidifies my "pack rat" tendencies.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

I would put them on display on a shelf or donate them to a local historical society that may want them.
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Actor wrote:If you're like me you don't have enough storage space. I have a lot of old super8 and reg8 cameras that don't work (either DOA from eBay or KIA) with no hope of repair. I'm inclined to throw them in the trash and let Waste Management haul them away but somehow that seems blasphemous.
Do you have any Nikon "Superzoom 8", or "8X Zoom" cameras? I would pay shipping, even if just for parts....

Mitch
reflex

Post by reflex »

Mitch Perkins wrote:Do you have any Nikon "Superzoom 8", or "8X Zoom" cameras? I would pay shipping, even if just for parts....
I have a quirky but operational Super Zoom 8 sitting on my office desk collecting dust.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
BMasson

Post by BMasson »

What do you have in the way of reg-8mm cameras? I may be interested in taking some of them off of your hands, and at the same time putting some cash in your pocket. I share your feelings ; no one is ever going to build cameras like this again.