IS ANALOG BETTER?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

avortex

Re: IS ANALOG BETTER?

Post by avortex »

I'm with Angus. I prefer Lp over CD any day of the week, and in fact I always purchase my favourite records (and I'm talking about RECENT music) in vinyl if there's an edition available.

But for video, digital 1080p IS the way to go. I project the Blu-rays on a D-ILA JVC projector and the quality is really impressive. The closest you can get to a theatrical presentation at home. No competition here, even DVDs look like crap compared to 1080p who preserves even the original film grain. Just beautiful.
Marc
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

MovieStuff wrote:My late father was a video engineer for the the NBC affiliate out of Houston for over 50 years.... When CDs came along, he was less than impressed. He called it a painting on a white picket fence. You only got a sense of it when driving by at high speed but, if you stopped, half the picture was missing.
Roger
What a great line-- I love it ! Yeah, there's something I don't like about the slice and dice nature of digitization. Besides, it's just done so that it can be used through microprocessors, which, if not necessary, why go to that complication? Give me film or analog sound any day. Keep it simple.
Janne

Post by Janne »

Latest technology: the awesome box thing!
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/s ... d_piece_of
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

hd picture is really great. i just wished they'd stop shooting it anamorphic style with gaps on the left and right side for the analogue broadcasts.
digital tv transmission however looks bad with lacking colours and dark pictures. where are the hd hard disk recorders? (not tivo!) i suppose I should move to japan to get the true hd pictures and recorder and then change my name to fukodore.
and everytime some tv show decides to show a 16mm film (a film within a show ex: lost), in program, quit making it look bad. 16mm film holds up better than videotape any day of the week.
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

Mid last year, I bought a Japanese Toy LP player. It is made by cheap plastic and the only electronic parts is the motor, It has a sharp needle that connected to a thin plastic drum that connected to a cheap plastic cone shape thing.

I put a junk LP on it which full of dust and dirt. The junk LP is what I got from a flea market and I bought it not because of the LP but the jacket only. Also I bought the CD of this album 3 years ago.

I compair the sound from the $900+ CD player with this $20 Toy LP player, I still love the sound more far better from the Toy. The sound is more solid, I described like almost can touch the sound.

Anyway, I like Analog more better and that's how I like film... instead of video or digital photo.
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
Angus

Post by Angus »

camera8mm wrote: digital tv transmission however looks bad with lacking colours and dark pictures.
There are possibly two issues here. Possibly a poor quality LCD display, or a display which is not set up correctly. 99% of consumers use "out of the box" contrast/colour settings which usually look dire, especially for black levels. And cheaper LCD TV's sold in supermarkets and the like are often incapable of displaying good black levels. As Roger will point out, contrast levels for the older CRT technology are way higher, though a good quality "fine tuned" LCD will give fantastic results.

the other issue is probably bandwidth. Many digital broadcasters try to squeeze too many channels into limited bandwidth, and sometimes the most noticable result is poor black levels.

The Virgin digital TV I enjoy for the most part has truly excellent picture quality. But some lesser stations (the sorts devoted to repeats or food programmes etc.) noticably are allocated lower bandwidth than the main channels.

I would also question what method you use to connect your digital TV reciever to your television. I first used component video (when I had SD) and now HDMI for HD. If you're using composite video or an RF connection you're asking for poor picture quality.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

the tv in question is a name brand tv . the cable line feeds directly in. so its not the tv. its the craptacular digital broadcast.
Angus

Post by Angus »

"The cable feeds directly in"....but what kind of signal is carried by the cable?

Are you saying you have a TV with a digital tuner, which can take the digital cable system? Its possible but I've never seen anything like that. Apart from DVB digital broadcasts every digital system I have seen requires some sort of box between the cable or satellite outlet and the TV....various competing systems rather than a DVB standard.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
BK

Post by BK »

Trying to imagine what it would be like to surf the net or post my message on this board with an analogue computer.

Probably would cost the same as a ultimate high end Hi Fi outfit to own one...comes in a size of a big fridge, and have to take two jobs to pay for the huge monthly electricity bill.

Some things are better in digital, when you think about it. :D