Double super 8.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Math

Double super 8.

Post by Math »

I have some boxes of Double Super 8 Kodachrome. They're 100"/30m rolls, and I was wondering what I could use this in. It would not work in a 16mm camera, correct? Would this work in standard 8 cameras like the small bolexes, if respooled on smaller spools?
Thanks!
reflex

Re: Double super 8.

Post by reflex »

You'll need a Double Super 8 camera. The Super 8 sprocket holes are larger than Regular 8mm and spaced differently (and the film gate is larger).
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Yes, Ds8 cameras are somewhat rare. If you want to buy one, expect to spend about $400. Its a good format to use, and can be cheap to shoot with, but you have to invest in the camera. Best would be the modified bolex h8.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

If you like mechanical clocwork cameras, you can buy a russian quarz for a very reasonable price, there are a lot of ds8 cameras made in the USSR.
But these are very simple ones, so I think it is better to find a camera like the canon zoom ds8.
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
bulldogpictures

Post by bulldogpictures »

The Super 8 sprocket holes are larger than Regular 8mm
No no. The sprocket holes of Double Super 8 are the same as Super 8 and the sprocket holes of Regular 8mm are larger. (the same as 16mm)
After splitting Double Super 8 you get Super 8 so you can use it with a Super 8 projector. Picture quality is better than super 8. The reason is the pressure plate built in the camera, not in a cartridge.
reflex

Post by reflex »

Umm. Yeah. Of course. That'll teach me to bang off answers in mere moments. Regular 8 sprocket holes are frikking enormous, but I was fixated on image size. And the picture quality is *not* typically better than Super 8, except as far as image stability goes. :)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Will2

Post by Will2 »

While picking up something like a Canon DS8 would give you a really great camera, they are hard to find and a little over priced these days.

Plus, once you buy it and use your existing film supply you'll only be able to get Ektachrome 100D for it and who knows how much longer you'll be able to even get that.

So I would suggest saving some money and just pick up an inexpensive DS8 camera like a Russian Quartz just to shoot the film (the film is worth more than the camera). Then just put the camera on a shelf as a museum piece.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Will2 wrote:Plus, once you buy it and use your existing film supply you'll only be able to get Ektachrome 100D for it and who knows how much longer you'll be able to even get that.
You can feed your DS8 camera with E100D, K40T, Velvia 50D, Fomapan100D and Orwo UN54.
BK

Post by BK »

reflex wrote:And the picture quality is *not* typically better than Super 8, except as far as image stability goes. :)
No, the 8mm image is sharper despite the small frame size. Vast majority of Regular 8mm cameras had prime lenses on them, and not forgetting there was a superior filmstock available ( Kodachrome II ) which explains why some of grandad's films look great compared to their modern super 8 counter parts. The real let down is the projectors not having enough light output due to the smaller frame size which can make the R 8mm image look rather rather dull. :(

Bill
Will2

Post by Will2 »

You can feed your DS8 camera with E100D, K40T, Velvia 50D, Fomapan100D and Orwo UN54.
Good to know. Where can you buy these stocks now? K40T is still available?
alex-rus

Post by alex-rus »

You can buy these from Wittner
The K40 was frozen and I hope is still available in original 100ft Kodak reels
http://wittner-cinetec.com/katalog/04_f ... _filmm.php
________
Alexander,
filmmaker from Russia
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Sorry to be the rude American, but does the Wittner site have an English translation available? (other than Babelfish)

I'd love to order some of that Velvia 50 in 25ft Regular 8.
Janne

Post by Janne »

Will2 wrote:Sorry to be the rude American, but does the Wittner site have an English translation available? (other than Babelfish)
No, but the order form is in English under the "AGB/Service" link.
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Will2 wrote:Sorry to be the rude American, but does the Wittner site have an English translation available? (other than Babelfish)

Velvia 50D in German is still "Velvia 50D" 8)

You don't need to translate more than a few couple of words to fill the order form, it's quite easy.

Anyway you can also buy the Velvia in English here:

http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/Cata ... _Film.html
aj

Post by aj »

You can email them and write in english. Possibly get answers even in the weekend too.
Should be no problem at all and they accept credit card or paypal these days.

The order form is in english, here:http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... rder_e.php
Kind regards,

André