Camera Torque with 64T, Tri-X, and Negative...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

adamgarner

Camera Torque with 64T, Tri-X, and Negative...

Post by adamgarner »

All:

I'm sharing some behavior I've seen recently and wanted to get a consensus. I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am seeing some results that I didn't fully expect. I wanted to see if everyone else had the same experience.

I have had several films that I've shot on a variety of film stocks, developed and transferred on Pro8's Millennium 2 HD scanner. Consistently I have seen the following:

1: 64T is very jittery. Every roll I shoot is noticeably jumpy, more so in the scan since it's so clear. It's not as easy to see when it's projected, but it's there.

2: Tri-X is somewhat jittery. This isn't as detectable, but you can see it jump if you're looking for it.

3: Negative stock : Solid as a rock.

It was my understanding that negative stocks were somewhat thicker than reversal? I will double check my homework. I'm shooting on a 1014XL-S which is in prime shape. It seems as though, even though the torque is solid, it's really fine tuned for the negative tension and thickness.

Additionally, I have started using energizer lithium batteries, which clearly pack a big punch. The battery meter registers quite a bit more juice than your average battery.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
Rachel Oliver

Re: Camera Torque with 64T, Tri-X, and Negative...

Post by Rachel Oliver »

Hi;

Not sure about 200T but 500T is actually pretty thin! Thinner than most reversal stocks available, more like K40.... I had a major problem with a ZMII that would not advance any neg stock but would reversal, got it serviced since and it's great now.
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Adam,

I'm glad you brought this up. I have a few NIKONs that shoot steady footage,
no matter what films I use. Yet, I had a Minolta that would get jitters with reversal. PRO8MM adjusts the torque on the cameras that they sell/rent.
Does anyone know of a mad scientist dude that can make those adujstments
to Super 8 cameras? I'm thinking of Bernie at super16inc.com, but he stays crazy busy.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Films measured:

Kodak:
PLUSX:0.140mm ("new" not processed)
E64: 0.155mm (not processed)** new
K40: 0.145mm (processed)
K40: 0.145mm (not processed)
K25: 0.145mm (processed) *
K25: 0.145mm (not-processed) *
VNF: 0.150mm (processed/not-processed = same)
V200T: 0.165mm (not processed)
V2 200T: 0.155mm (not processed)
E160: 0.130mm (processed)
E50D: 0.155mm (processed)
V250D: Later
V500T: Later

Kodachrome II (R8): 0.145mm (not processed)

Fuji:
F500T: 0.150mm (processed)
F400D: 0.150mm (processed)
RT200N: 0.100mm (processed)*
R25N: 0.100mm (processed)*

Agfa:
A40: 0.145mm (not processed)
A160: later

Fomapan
Fomapan: 0.145mm (processed)*
Fomapan: 0.145mm (not processed)*
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...