Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Saw a special screening of Maddin's latest, My Winnipeg, tonight. Special because he did live narration. When I got there it was "sold out" but I stood in the rush line and managed to score one of the last seats.

Brilliant film. A strange (big surprise) mix of autobiography and historical fact (stock footage and re-enactments) concerning his home town of Winnipeg Manitoba, with threads of surreal fiction mixed in and it was often not clear what was what. I bumped into a friend who is from Winnpeg and I found out one segment, which I assumed had to be true (about a three-level swimming pool) was completely made up. Now I have to question almost eveything that seemed true.

My Winnipeg friend assumed anyone not from Winnipeg wouldn't "get it". I let him know I have only passed through that city a few times and found it utterly fascinating. So if you get a chance to see it, and you don't even know or care where Winnipeg is, see it. A critic from Time Magazine called it "The finest, funniest, saddest film I've seen..."

99% B&W, much of it seemingly originated on super 8.

My bonus for the night: I managed to meet Guy in the lobby and invite him to shoot for our super 8 circus. He said yes and refused the roll of film I held out: "I have a fridge full" he said. If he follows through and I hear back from him I'll try to interview him for Super 8 Today.

Since I am writing, I'll also say I managed to catch most of his Dracula: Pages from A Virgin's Diary on TV the other day (I taped the rest). An amazing filmic ballet from what I have seen thus far. The only film of his I had seen previously was The Saddest Music in the World (well worth it BTW) and now I have to see the others, which won't be easy as he seems to crank out two features and several shorts a year.

Can we make this guy an official super 8 ambassador?
Rick
downix

Re: Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg

Post by downix »

Bravo and good to hear.

Which reminds me, I'm taking the footage that I'd shot for the Super 8-ring circus a few years back, adding inserts, and am going to restructure it into a short about Super 8mm shooting, if you don't mind.
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Maddin is a big super 8mm enthusiast. He has incorporated the tiny gauge in most of his films (possibly with the exception of The Saddest Music in the World). I'm envious of all who have seen My Winnipeg. Truly the most fresh, original and genuinely eccentric Canadian filmmaker working today. I get really excited by his work.

I hope it screens way out here in the far east at some point. We tend to, uh.. not get anything of worth, ever. Empire Theatres has a monopoly in Nova Scotia. Not one independent/second-run movie theatre in all of Nova Scotia. Shameful. But, I digress.

Yes, Maddin!
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

brokenflashlight wrote:Maddin is a big super 8mm enthusiast. He has incorporated the tiny gauge in most of his films (possibly with the exception of The Saddest Music in the World). I'm envious of all who have seen My Winnipeg. Truly the most fresh, original and genuinely eccentric Canadian filmmaker working today. I get really excited by his work.

I hope it screens way out here in the far east at some point. We tend to, uh.. not get anything of worth, ever. Empire Theatres has a monopoly in Nova Scotia. Not one independent/second-run movie theatre in all of Nova Scotia. Shameful. But, I digress.

Yes, Maddin!
Saddest Music in the World had lots of super 8 and regular I believe.

I opens it's normal run in Toronto today and then is "fanning" out across the country, though who knows what that means. Hope it makes it your way.
downix wrote:Bravo and good to hear.

Which reminds me, I'm taking the footage that I'd shot for the Super 8-ring circus a few years back, adding inserts, and am going to restructure it into a short about Super 8mm shooting, if you don't mind.
I don't mind. It's all yours.
Rick
downix

Post by downix »

[quote="Rick Palidwor']
downix wrote:Bravo and good to hear.

I don't mind. It's all yours.
Rick[/quote]
Well, I like the footage for the most part, but feel like it didn't actually do anything. So, teaching myself hand-cutting.

Does the lab you used still process Tri-X the old way, so I can match the footage up?
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Rick Palidwor wrote:I managed to meet Guy in the lobby and invite him to shoot for our super 8 circus. He said yes[...]
Score!! You (are) the man (a greatly esteemed individual) Rick!

Saddest Music has to be one of the best movies ever...

Mitch
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

downix wrote: Does the lab you used still process Tri-X the old way, so I can match the footage up?
I am not sure what you mean by "the old way". Didn't know it had changed. You'd have to ask them. http://www.exclusivefilm.net/
Rick
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
Rick Palidwor wrote:I managed to meet Guy in the lobby and invite him to shoot for our super 8 circus. He said yes[...]
Score!! You (are) the man (a greatly esteemed individual) Rick!

Saddest Music has to be one of the best movies ever...

Mitch
I also invited Ken Finkleman a couple of weeks ago. He took the film and said he'd think about it. I am pretty sure he'll do it. I am going after Bruce MacDonald and Sarah Polley as well so we may a nice celebrity component for the Circus this time around.

Someone else is actually producing the event this year as it's pretty time-consuming for me, freeing me up to do the celebrity invites.

Rick
downix

Post by downix »

Rick Palidwor wrote:
downix wrote: Does the lab you used still process Tri-X the old way, so I can match the footage up?
I am not sure what you mean by "the old way". Didn't know it had changed. You'd have to ask them. http://www.exclusivefilm.net/
Rick
The older style chemistry rather than the newer.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Rick Palidwor wrote:
I also invited Ken Finkleman a couple of weeks ago. He took the film and said he'd think about it.
That's funny. Sounds like he was in fine "Newsroom" form.
Rick Palidwor wrote:Someone else is actually producing the event this year as it's pretty time-consuming for me, freeing me up to do the celebrity invites.
Rick
Hopefully you still need a projectionist; I have some dental issues I'd like Sarah Polley's advice on...

Mitch
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
Rick Palidwor wrote:
I also invited Ken Finkleman a couple of weeks ago. He took the film and said he'd think about it.
That's funny. Sounds like he was in fine "Newsroom" form.
If you ever talk to him you feel like you are IN an episode of the Newsroom. Totally surreal. For those of you who don't know it, Ken Finckleman wrote, directed and starred in a series for CBC TV called "The Newsroom". One of the best shows ever.
Rick Palidwor wrote:Someone else is actually producing the event this year as it's pretty time-consuming for me, freeing me up to do the celebrity invites.
Rick
Mitch Perkins wrote: Hopefully you still need a projectionist; I have some dental issues I'd like Sarah Polley's advice on...

Mitch
The event won't change. Someone else is doing the leg work that's all. We'll still need you to project. March 10, 2009. So get some rest.
Rick