Kopil standard 8mm camera questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Superbus_

Kopil standard 8mm camera questions

Post by Superbus_ »

I bought yesterday a Kopil power zoom E. E. standard 2x8 mm camera in a very good condition.
This camera seems to me probably a unique one:
12 - 18 - 24 frame speed, electronic driven, auto and manual zoom, remote terminal, battery check etc.

So, its a modern standard eight camera!

My questions are:

What a hell of this manufacturer? The camera is looking great I love the colour of it and it's like a very elegant one, the optics seems good too (Kopil power zoom lens 1:1,8) but I have never heard of this japanese factory...

Is it a bad idea to replace the light meter mercury battery (2.7V) with two LR44 (1.5V + 1.5V = 3V) batteries with a silver foil?
[ OK. I'm sorry repeating the old "how to replace the mercury battery" question, please help.]

Is there anybody who have ever used this camera?

Thanks.
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
Old Uncle Barry

Re: Kopil standard 8mm camera questions

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

Your Kopil cine camera was a highly respected camera of the sixties.Giving very steady images and fine images they are too as the lens is of quality manufacture.Use it and enjoy it!
Im not too sure about the meter battery mod (but I cannot see why it wont be satisfactory) as I have no technical info on the subject.As long as the exposure readings look ok then it is ok !.You can of course check it with an external lightmeter by setting the shutter speed for 1/35th of a second.This is for shooting at 16fps.
Hope this may be of some help to you. :)
Superbus_

Re: Kopil standard 8mm camera questions

Post by Superbus_ »

Thank you for your answers. This is part of my standard 8 experience. The first step was a russian quarz with fomapan film but I don't have the results yet. Well, I enjoyed the russian simplicity and technology but I have never expected I can find a more sophisticated, electronic driven and modern standard 8 camera, and now I have one.

Can't wait to load the camera and thanks again! :D
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio