Elmo 912 question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Guy Bennett

Elmo 912 question

Post by Guy Bennett »

Didn't want to hijack the previous thread on Super/Standard 8 viewers, so am posting this here.

I've got an Elmo 912 that squeaks pretty loudly when the film is being advanced. It's the sprocket/framing nob that's making the noise, which it also does if I turn the nob when no film is threaded.

My question is: how can I get rid of the squeak? I suppose it can be lubed, but using what, and where should the lube be applied? I can either access the sprocket from outside, or from inside by opening it up, and did once try to apply a tiny drop of DW40, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

It's more annoying than anything else, but I would like to get rid of it, if I could.

TIA.

Guy
Guy Bennett

Re: Elmo 912 question

Post by Guy Bennett »

Just bumbing this one back up.

No suggestions, really?
super8man

Post by super8man »

Common problem...I had mine serviced (believe it or not there is an expert in town that still services things) and essentially you just need to get a small touch of white grease or even lubricating oil on the shaft. Without getting mine out and looking at it I cannot picture how this is done but the idea is the same. It simply needs a bit of lube - not wd40...

Also, the rewinds may get stiff and these are easy to get at - simply unscrew the cover and presto, you can see the gears and get some lube on there.

Best of luck,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

I've got some lube ("Grease-A-Bearing") that was used on my P-3 take up spool, do you think this would be ok? If I recall, it's a metal piece that is squeking, so this shouldn't damage it.

BTW, who do you know "in town" who fixes these things?
super8man

Post by super8man »

Are you in Sacramento?
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

No, Los Angeles...