"Pass The Cart" project, Official Thread

Collaborative film projects
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Rick Palidwor wrote:Trying to figure out what to do with my 10 feet.

James, Chas, Pelle, what did you guys shoot? Just curious, as it may give me some inspiration.

Rick
Hi Rick,

I posted my filming story a couple of pages back:
viewtopic.php?t=12981&postdays=0&postor ... &start=870

good luck!
CHAS
Angus

Post by Angus »

Well, I didn't get my filming done over Easter....spousal unit and I left in a rush and I forgot the cart and a camera....I could have managed with just the cart as I keep two super 8 cameras at my parents (where we spent Easter) but without the cart I was stuffed. Anyway the weather was awful and I couldn't have filmed what I wanted to film. Will try again this weekend!!!
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Rick, I shot three waterfalls in vertical pan and a shot of the sun to bright white. I can email you my stills if you want. I belive Chas shot some Surfers. I don't know what Pelle shot. Pelle? Did you continue w/ the water theme? Or ???? Shoot what you want pretty much. And shoot to the end of the cart.
Cheers,
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

To be fair of all others shooters. I would suggest everybody just shoot 10 feet of the film. The reason of doing it because there would be some buffer film to the last shooter. In case all the other 3 shooters over run a second or 2. The last shooter still have his 10 feet anyway.

I experienced the suffer and wait 3 months and got a cart of film with 2 seconds left.

I understand James' suggestion is to shoot all the way to the end by the last shooter for not wasting the film (Good idea :) ). And that make sense too because the last shooters wait the longest time and have a bit more longer film

What is all the other's suggestion? Please share... :D
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
etimh

Post by etimh »

lastcoyote wrote:To be fair of all others shooters. I would suggest everybody just shoot 10 feet of the film. The reason of doing it because there would be some buffer film to the last shooter. In case all the other 3 shooters over run a second or 2. The last shooter still have his 10 feet anyway.

I experienced the suffer and wait 3 months and got a cart of film with 2 seconds left.

I understand James' suggestion is to shoot all the way to the end by the last shooter for not wasting the film (Good idea :) ). And that make sense too because the last shooters wait the longest time and have a bit more longer film

What is all the other's suggestion? Please share... :D
The 10 feet guideline is a good one--isn't that what we decided on from the beginning? :?

The only thing about running out the film is it makes it hard for the last person to plan the end of their segment, because they won't really know where the end of the cart actually is.

Unless they just want the shot to end abrubtly at some random point. Mine is a loose narrative, with a fade in and fade out. But its up to the person, I guess, and what they're trying to do.

Tim
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

etimh wrote:

The only thing about running out the film is it makes it hard for the last person to plan the end of their segment, because they won't really know where the end of the cart actually is.
Tim
Luckily I have a Nikon 8X Super Zoom which indicates the cartridge end, regardless of history of cart. Very useful.
Rick
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

I just want to inform you that Morris sent me an e-mail: he is okay and the carts of the first project too:

viewtopic.php?t=19028&start=15
"Cuando despertó, el dinosaurio todavía estaba allí."
("When he awoke, the dinosaur was still there.")

Augusto Monterroso, El Dinosaurio
etimh

Post by etimh »

Rick Palidwor wrote:
etimh wrote:

Tim
Luckily I have a Nikon 8X Super Zoom which indicates the cartridge end, regardless of history of cart. Very useful.
Rick
Well, my 814XL-S has the red warning LED in the viewfinder too, indicating the end of a cart (the 1014XL-S even has the cool "END" warning!). I think most good cams have something similar as well.

But isn't this warning dependent on measuring the footage used in a cart from its beginning? In other words, if you put in a cart that has footage already shot on it, the footage indicator starts from the beginning, thus, the camera will never read the "end" of the cart (in a situation like this, where we are each shooting 10 feet).

Do you get what I mean? There is no indicator built into the cart, or into the actual film stock, that indicates that it is nearing the end, is there? It is all in-camera, and entirely dependent on the camera knowing when the cart started to determine when it will end. Am I correct? Or do I have it all wrong?

EDIT: Oh. I jumped the gun and failed to process the SECOND HALF of your comment: "...regardless of history of cart." How does it do this????

Tim
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

etimh wrote:
Rick Palidwor wrote:
etimh wrote:

Tim
Rick
Well, my 814XL-S has the red warning LED in the viewfinder too, indicating the end of a cart (the 1014XL-S even has the cool "END" warning!). I think most good cams have something similar as well.

But isn't this warning dependent on measuring the footage used in a cart from its beginning? In other words, if you put in a cart that has footage already shot on it, the footage indicator starts from the beginning, thus, the camera will never read the "end" of the cart (in a situation like this, where we are each shooting 10 feet).

Do you get what I mean? There is no indicator built into the cart, or into the actual film stock, that indicates that it is nearing the end, is there? It is all in-camera, and entirely dependent on the camera knowing when the cart started to determine when it will end. Am I correct? Or do I have it all wrong?

EDIT: Oh. I jumped the gun and failed to process the SECOND HALF of your comment: "...regardless of history of cart." How does it do this????

Tim
Yes, regardless of history of cart. On Nikon Super Zoom 8 as well. Only cameras that do this to my knowledge.

At the end of the roll you'll notice a little cut in the film. I believe that triggers it. I don't get an advance warning that it will end in,say, 5 seconds, but my red flag goes up when it hits the end. It is worth owning one of these cameras for this feature alone if you handle a lot of carts with unknown histories as I do (in workshop environment).

Rick
lastcoyote

Re: "Pass The Cart" project, Official Thread

Post by lastcoyote »

Oh GREAT... the forum finally back.

The PTC II UPDATE:

Status of PTCII (30th April 2008)

Cart 1:
Rollef (DONE)
Angus (Film received)
flatwood
lastcoyote

Cart 2:
1mic (DONE)
moonstruck production (DONE)
Bigbeaner (Filming)
Jusetin

Cart 3:
brokenflashlight (Filming)
Superbus_
Patrick
richard p.t.

Cart 4:
etimh (DONE)
vidwerk (Film arrived)
romeojesus
predooo

Cart 5: :D
James E (DONE)
CHAS (DONE)
Pelle.txt (DONE)
Rick Palidwor (DONE)

GUYS! Cart 5 is already completed and sending the film to the lab. Please update all of your status!

Thanks!!

Last Coyote
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Roll 5 is back from the lab. Unless anyone objects I am going to give it a quick look on a hand-wound viewer before mailing it to Lost Coyote. (Don't worry, it's a scratch-free viewer).

Rick
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

Rick, let me know how it all came out! :D
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

Thank the lord. I shot my 10 feet over a month ago, but didn't have romeojesus' mailing address. Shipping it out today.

vidwerk.
Last edited by vidwerk on Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

This is great. Howdy to everyone. I'm looking 4ward to shooting my clip.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Finally. I can get _Superbus' address. I've been done for awhile but couldn't get his address in my PMs until site launch. Away we go.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard