814XL-S/1014XL-S Wide Angle Lens

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

brokenflashlight

814XL-S/1014XL-S Wide Angle Lens

Post by brokenflashlight »

Hi. I'm probably breaking forum rules by posting this here. What can I say? I'm a rebel, I guess.

Anyone who has any inkling of C-67 Wide Angle Lens for the Canon XL-S series for sale... anywhere, for almost any price... please PM me. I'm desperately seeking one. Hell; anyone want to let YOUR OWN go for, say, double the price you paid for it? Help a brotha out? Thanks.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Well I paid $120 for it on ebay back in 2006. You should keep checking daily.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

can't you just use one of these?
http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... optike.php

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Funnily enough I just bought a nice 814XL-S kit off a customer yesterday with both the wide-angle and tele C8 adaptors.

The other accessory which was in there is something I don't remember coming across before - it is the C8 240 close-up lens.

At the moment I can't mount it on the 814XL-S because the SC-62 lens hood is firmly stuck in place (hasn't been off since 1993 apparently), but I do have the manual which says that set to the full zoom of 56mm and focussing at 1.2m, an object 360mm away from the lens will occupy a field of view of only 21 x 15mm. If you used it on a 1014XL-S at full zoom you could have a field of view as small as 18 x 13mm.

Sounds kind of groovy to me, as that is a much greater degree of magnification than the internal macro can offer, which for an 814XL-S is a FOV of 50 x 36mm, and for the 1014XL-S is 46 x 33mm. Anyone else ever tried one? I'm going to have to get the bleeping hood off before I can see what it does.
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

I agree with Freddy...keep checking the auction sites daily as I did for months....quite a few wide angle and telephoto lenses appeared over those months and I bid on em all only to be beaten every time...I even got into a bit of a bidding war on one occasion for the w/a and bid $100...still got beat :(

I put an auto search on ebay for both wide and telephoto...to my amazement I got an auto email informing me that there was a telephoto available with a buy it now price of about £9 about $18 ...as you can imagine I snapped it up pronto.

A week later I was gobsmacked when I received another auto mail informing me that there was a wide angle lens available also with an increadibly low buy it now price...I think it was £9.99 about $20.

I am now the proud owner of both of these great lenses which I have used already and fully intend to use lots more :D

So keep looking dude cos they come up all the time and ya might get lucky like I did.
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

They are tough to come by for some reason. There's plenty of tele converters, but the wide is tough for sure.

I searched b&h photo for some alternatives with a 67mm thread. There are a couple of underwater wide converters. Not sure if they'd work or not.

I'd prefer to get the original lens designed for the 1014XL-S just to keep it in the family. But if anyone has suggestions otherwise I'm all ears.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

I found one at super8arena a couple of hours after my first post. I lucked out! Thanks for the responses, guys.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Just be careful you don't get the C8 made for the 514, which has a a 48mm thread I think. They look alot alike on most postings. Also be careful you don't get the tele, since it's labeled similarly too.

Not that you can't read or anything but I've almost bought a few of these and realized at the last minute it was actually the wrong lens.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
super8man

Post by super8man »

My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

I bid on that one a few days ago... only to have my iPhone not refresh on the Edge Network in time. DRAG!!!!
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
super8man

Post by super8man »

How about this instead...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmo-Super-Wide-Sup ... 0205495572

Very very nice. Even gave me a shout out!

m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
adamgarner

Post by adamgarner »

Oh my god, that camera is going to make someone really happy. I can't imagine there are many around in mint condition.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Found one for you guys..but they want some serious mullah for it...tooooo much in my opinion...but hey they know you guys are looking for one..

They have some other nice Canon accessories too....

http://super8arena.com/index.php?cPath= ... =6a&page=3

ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Hmm just read back through the posts and brokenflashlight posted he found the one I am talking about...but it would appear its still for sale according to their website....no one has snapped it up yet....can't say I am suprised at the price..$185 ..sheeeeeesh
adamgarner

Pricey

Post by adamgarner »

Yeah, that's about 100 more than average. At some point, though, you just get tired of waiting around for one to show up on Ebay.

Actually 185 is a good price by todays standards for an UWL, you know?

Still... pricey no doubt.
Adam
trigger-studios.com
adam@trigger-studios.com