Super8 in Anti-Dogfighting PSA

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

0zemen0

Super8 in Anti-Dogfighting PSA

Post by 0zemen0 »

Hello All

I recently directed a PSA and used some super8. There are three quick shots at the end of actual dog owners I shot with a Nizo 561 on 100D. The film was processed and transfered to digibeta @ Spectra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIcx9SK008M

And sorry for the youtube compression in advance as it doesn't serve the 100D's amazing color very well.

Thanks!

Zach.
Last edited by 0zemen0 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

as an old advertising man i always find it strange when people make anti-ads that make what they're against look cool. don't drink and do drugs kids, chances are you'll get to hang out with gorgeous members of the opposite sex and see the world in a very cool way with fantastic colors. :-)

super 8 looks good.

/matt
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

mattias wrote:as an old advertising man i always find it strange when people make anti-ads that make what they're against look cool.
We used to have a wicked "don't drink & drive" ad here in Ontario Canada, featuring a speeding carload of partying teens, one of whom reaches around from the back seat and covers the drivers eyes with his hands - ha ha ha, then the car is shown smashing into another car stopped at a red light, flipping on it's side, and caroming through the intersection in a shower of sparks and flame! It was real, (no CGI in the 70s), and it was awesome!

...didn't make you feel like drinking and driving though...

Ad in question didn't load - I'll check it out later...

[edit] ok it loaded - nicely done, and yes the S8 looked great.

Mitch
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Wow will have to give 100D a try, it looked great in that clip - modern in the best sense of the term.
0zemen0

Post by 0zemen0 »

The 100D is a great stock. The reds and blues it renders are amazing.

I'm also shooting super8 as a "C" camera for a doc I'm producing about Laszlo Kovacs and Vilmos Zsigmond. Wonderful shots of Laszlo before he passed. Have some good shots of Vilmos, Dennis Hopper, and Vittorio Storaro as well. Will share some footage as soon as I can.

And thanks for watching the spot.

Zach.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I've had some good times around a dog fighting pit. I think that the schlock of some little white dog (lets talk about that reference) with a pit bull charging at it to be off base and created out of complete misunderstanding.

Yep...I'm serious. I really don't care if people fight dogs, cocks, whales or each other.

I'm tired of people telling other people how to live based on their own moral code.

Screw the PSA. Live free or die. Value your life before you pass judgement on others. Oh, and fuck Sea Shepard.

Good Luck
etimh

Post by etimh »

Nigel wrote:Yep...I'm serious...
I'll fight you.

Any day you're ready. :twisted:

Oh, and yeah, you're right, the Minette S5 kicks ass!

Tim
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Nigel wrote:I've had some good times around a dog fighting pit. I think that the schlock of some little white dog (lets talk about that reference) with a pit bull charging at it to be off base and created out of complete misunderstanding.

Yep...I'm serious. I really don't care if people fight dogs, cocks, whales or each other.

I'm tired of people telling other people how to live based on their own moral code.

Screw the PSA. Live free or die. Value your life before you pass judgement on others. Oh, and fuck Sea Shepard.

Good Luck
What a prick.
Gives filmshooting a bad name.
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
schoft

Post by schoft »

Nigel wrote: I'm tired of people telling other people how to live based on their own moral code.
agreed

but why hate PSA ? I mean, living free and doing what you want cant be achieved when you are not the only one on the world. We all are more depended on eachother then you think.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Kalu wrote:What a prick.
Gives filmshooting a bad name.
i'm glad you're so open about it. most people would feel ashamed of themselves. :-)

i'm with nigel. and freedom aside dogs like to fight much more than cows like
to become burgers.

/matt
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

mattias wrote: i'm glad you're so open about it. most people would feel ashamed of themselves. :-)
The bigger the prick, the lesser the ashame.

(shit, is that real english anyway? well who gives a fuck).
toby_tools

Post by toby_tools »

This Forum went down hill in a big hurry!!!!
The 100D looks great. I think the add is great!
It appears some members have no shame!

Toby
The Life long Dog lover.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Kalu wrote:The bigger the prick, the lesser the ashame.
oh, now i do think you're being to hard on yourself. we're not ashamed of you. promise.

/matt
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Tack så mycket, min svenska vän!
Jag älska djur, can't help it...

Animal torturing is just something that makes me angry and sad...

It's just my OWN MORAL CODE that I must force feed to all the nigels, haha.

Back to the topic: Nice film!
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Nigel wrote: I really don't care if people fight dogs, cocks, whales or each other.
One assumes the PSA was directed at people who do care, generally, about lessening the violence in our culture, to whatever degree possible. Thus you remind me of the reviewer sent to cover a King Crimson concert who began his review, "I'm a simple punk..." - so why is he reviewing a prog rock show?

The OP sought input wrt the Super 8 used in the spot, so why are you critiquing the message?
Nigel wrote: I'm tired of people telling other people how to live based on their own moral code.

...Live free or die. Value your life before you pass judgement on others...
Looks like you're telling other people how to live based on your own moral code.

Mitch