Nikon zoom super8 Tips?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

teasider

Nikon zoom super8 Tips?

Post by teasider »

Hey,

Well I figured I try to make my first super8 film with the Nikon Super8 zoom camera.

Any tips on shooting so i'll actually get somthing viewable out of this ? :)

I am going to use the Kodak Tri-X 7266 black and white film which is 200 asa. and Im only going to shoot indoors. (will I need to put in the little thingy on top to oprate the filter or not ?)

Thanks in advance to all repliers!
Dr Smith

Post by Dr Smith »

You don't need to worry about the filter if you are shooting B&W.
Good luck with your film. I hope you have fun and if you haven't already, I would recommend shooting a few carts just to test the camera and get a feel for the possibilities of the Tri-X too. I always try to shoot tests that - if they come out good - can also be used in either my current project or possibly a future one.

Try and get a shoulder support for your camera too, if you don't already have one, they really do absorb a lot of those inevitable micro-tremors of the hand and wrist that you get when shooting hand held but look pretty big on 8mm - unless that is the look you want , of course. Otherwise a good tripod is a definite investment if you want a more classical look.

What kind of film are you shooting by the way?
Darren R Smith
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Dr Smith wrote:You don't need to worry about the filter if you are shooting B&W.
Shooting B+W you need to make sure the filter is displaced, especially indoors. Insert filter key thingy in the slot on top of the camera.

Mitch
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

You're going to need lights.
teasider

hey

Post by teasider »

Thanks everyone,

Well the main "problem" is that in order to get my film developed I have to send it overseas (no labs around..)
So im trying to get as much info as possible before I shoot.

About the filter, I Thgout it should be on (insterted) when shooting in daylight ?

and using more lights than normal , ok wrote that down , but isnt the film 200 asa? do I really need more light?
Dr Smith

Post by Dr Smith »

Sorry that was misleading, when I said don't worry about the filter I meant don't use it, as Mitch said, 'displace it'.
Darren R Smith
teasider

Post by teasider »

Hey Doctor,

Now im all confused,
Mitch says "make sure the filter is displaced, especially indoors. Insert filter key thingy in the slot on top of the camera."

So he says make sure its displaced and than insert the key thingy in the slot. :?

Anyways , im really into visual effects so im going to try and combine super8 with that.

check out my site http://www.erans.co.il under video clips if your into that stuff or just wanna see some stuff I did. they are not big on the plot though :)
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Just go to where ever it is that you're shooting and take light meter readings and see for yourself about lighting. 200 still means you'll need a decent amount of light to bring it up to exposure, It's also not 200, film speed indoors for Tri-x should be rated at 160 so that the red light gets some more exposure onto the film. You definitely want more than just practical lights, regardless. Lights shouldn't be an afterthought.
Dr Smith

Post by Dr Smith »

teasider wrote:Now im all confused,
Mitch says "make sure the filter is displaced, especially indoors. Insert filter key thingy in the slot on top of the camera."

So he says make sure its displaced and than insert the key thingy in the slot. :?
That's what the key thingy does, you slot it in and it moves the filter out of the way.
Darren R Smith
teasider

cool.

Post by teasider »

Thanks again everyone,

Can anyone just tell me if you see any change through the viewfinder when you insert the key? since I dont have it and I need to improvise one.
Mitch Perkins

Re: cool.

Post by Mitch Perkins »

teasider wrote:Thanks again everyone,

Can anyone just tell me if you see any change through the viewfinder when you insert the key? since I dont have it and I need to improvise one.
No change in the viewfinder, but you should hear a clicking sound on removal of the key.

If you want to be sure, take off the battery compartment [handle] cover, and set the camera on runlock while sighting through the gate [cart chamber door open], then cut power by displacing one battery until the camera stops w/shutter open. Now you have a clear view through the gate and will be able to see the filter engaging/disengaging as you remove/insert the key.

mitch
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...my tip is to learn to lock the aperture. The auto aperture on this camera will fluctuate wildly in variable light conditions unless you pick an aperture setting and lock it in place. To manually set the aperture use the dial at the front of the camera next to the lens.

Steve