Bauer S 207 XL and my East Bay Super 8 Collective

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CToTheH

Bauer S 207 XL and my East Bay Super 8 Collective

Post by CToTheH »

Hello to all. It has been a while - about a year or two - since I've posted anything in this forum. I have a couple of things to inquire about.

First, I recently came in possesion of four cameras at a garage sale. Two of them are Bauer S 207 XL cameras and the other two are Chinon Direct sounds cams. A Chinon 20pXL and a 40 XL. I am currently in the process of selling one of the Bauers and probably one of the Chinons. Does anybody have anything delightful to say about any of these?

Second, the big, BIG NEWS! I've started an East Bay Super 8 collective in California. So far we've had one meeting and several people showed up. We are currently in the process of shooting a first film colaborative style.

I have to pose an important question to anyone here who is in a Super 8 Collective, has been in one, or who heads one. What is the best way to manage a Super 8 Collective? I'm excited that I started it, but somewhat overwhelmed by the number of responses I've gotten.

Also, I've decided to produce and fund the first film. I've set the boundaries for the first project. Maximum of 7 minutes with 5 minutes preferred, has to be on Tri-X, and sound has to be incorperated in a highly creative way (super minimal dialogue - none would be best).

We are deciding on two ideas. One is an Experimental Horror involving the audience as a victim of murder using 3D sound. The other is a Sci/Fi comedy involving time travel. I'll spare you the details to keep this short.

Does anybody have anything knowledgeable they think may help my group? Also, if you live in Oakland or SF, now is the time to join up.

-Christopher
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Interesting and great idea.

I am considering initiating a film collective up here in my neighbourhood in Toronto.

However I view the word collective differently.

I see it tentatively as a group of like minded Super 8 filmmakers collectively sharing knowledge, ideas and possibly equipment resources towards our independent Super 8 films...which tends to be the main aspect of this iconoclastic type of highly individualized small format film making.
CToTheH

I view the word the same

Post by CToTheH »

Our views of the word collective do not really vary at all. The only thing non-collective about it is that I've deided to buy the film and pay for the transfers. I figure it's a good way to get the group motivated.

-Christopher
Nicholas Kovats

Re: I view the word the same

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I suppose not and we are on the same wavelength regarding incentives to get the future members inspired, i.e. I had planned to raffle a few cameras, film and spot meters.
CToTheH wrote:Our views of the word collective do not really vary at all. The only thing non-collective about it is that I've deided to buy the film and pay for the transfers. I figure it's a good way to get the group motivated.

-Christopher
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Good luck with your collective.

We had a Super-8 collective in L.A. for awhile...4 core people plus the inevitable "peripheral" members. The goal was for each one of us to produce a 15-minute short. The first person who wrote the best script would get to film first. I was the only one who turned in a script so we shot mine first. Then I had less than a month to cast the film, find more crew since we didn't have enough, plus get a location.

The best part of the collective was that we pooled in our equipment and crew skills to collaborate on a short film.

Unfortunately, each person had to pay for their own film and processing and telecine. The collective was not willing to share these costs and my film ended up costing 2k, not counting telecine. After my film was shot, one of our members moved to SF and the other two balked at making any more Super-8 films....so the "collective" ended for all intent purposes and I was stuck with a double-system K40 sound film that I have to edit on my own. The whole thing left a real bad taste in my mouth.
CToTheH

foot in mouth taste

Post by CToTheH »

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you however for sharing it. I'll keep in mind not to go overboard with expenses.

I like the idea of whomever writes the best script wins the first shoot. Our first shoot according to the guidlines I've set has to stay under 7 minutes with a 5 minute perferred rule. So far our group has a number of wonderful cameras including the B.6008.

-Christopher
CHAS

Re: foot in mouth taste

Post by CHAS »

CToTheH wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you however for sharing it. I'll keep in mind not to go overboard with expenses.

I like the idea of whomever writes the best script wins the first shoot. Our first shoot according to the guidlines I've set has to stay under 7 minutes with a 5 minute perferred rule. So far our group has a number of wonderful cameras including the B.6008.

-Christopher
You might want to think about keeping each film to a sane budget and also find a realistic telecine option. That was what really killed it for me.

But -- it sounds like you guys are off to a good start and I wish you the best of luck! Wish I lived in the bay area...part of the problem with the collective in L.A. was that most of the people involved were also Hollywood-wanabe types who wanted to make it in the biz and weren't all that concerned with how they made it. S8 was not part of their big picture.
CToTheH

small format for big picture

Post by CToTheH »

For telecine I've decided on a package from Spectra film and video. The prices are good for what they give you in service and technical quality.

I am however tempted by the thought of shooting 64T and running my processing through Walmart.

-Chris

Anybody have an opinion about any of my cameras?
Clapton Pond

Post by Clapton Pond »

I've got a Bauer S209 XL, which is the same as the S207 XL apart from a slightly zoomier lens, and I reckon it's a nice camera - plenty of functions (stop-motion, macro, slo-mo etc.) decent lens...

Sounds like you got a bargain!

ian
https://www.slaughterback.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/slaughterbackfilms
https://www.gamine.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaminefilms
themagickite

Post by themagickite »

i'm always a fan of time travel.
unless it's done painfully bad, just having time travel in the story gives it extra points from me ;)

hope it goes well, can't wait to see a film!
CToTheH

back from the past

Post by CToTheH »

Time Travel is a wonderful concept for anyfilm. You are correct though, if done wrong, it's dreadful.

Thanks for your vote though. If anybody is curious the film is a take-off of another super 8 film called Hazmat Ghost. The link can be found at

http://www.undergroundfilms.com and by searching for Hazmat Ghost.

The fim I will be producing will be shot by the director of Hazmat Ghost - Ethan Tabor. I'm hoping to put his original film into an episodic series.

-Christopher
CToTheH

sorry

Post by CToTheH »

I'm sorry, the link is actually:

http://www.undergroundfilm.com/films/de ... id=1021943

I got the site name wrong, sorry.
CToTheH

BBQ

Post by CToTheH »

Hello to all who are interested in Joining the California East Bay Super 8 Collective.

This Sunday will be our second meeting and our first FREE SUPER 8 FILM shoot day with a BBQ and POTLUCK. If anybody would like more details about this event, please send me a private message.

SHOOT SUPER 8 FILM FOR FREE! PRIZES!! FOOD!!