Filming at night

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Pj

Filming at night

Post by Pj »

Hi

I need some advice on how to film night scenes on Super 8 vision 200T. When filming in the night what lights should I use and how should I light trhe scene? Is it possible to film in daylight and use a filter to make the scene look like dusk or night?

I also want to film two people in a moving car. I keep getting a reflection of sky and trees in the windscreen. Has anyone experienced this reflection on the windscreen? How can I avoid this and get a clear image of the people in the car?

Thanks

P
Mojo_77

Post by Mojo_77 »

If you're shooting through the windscreen you could use a polarising filter on the lens, though this will lose you a stop or so of light.
jpolzfuss

Re: Filming at night

Post by jpolzfuss »

Pj wrote:Is it possible to film in daylight and use a filter to make the scene look like dusk or night?
Yes. This is called "Day for night", "American Night" or "Hollywood Night". Simply use a blue filter in front of the camera, underexpose a little bit, make sure that all lights are turned on and that you don't film the sun or shadows that only exist during the day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_for_night
Pj wrote:I also want to film two people in a moving car. I keep getting a reflection of sky and trees in the windscreen. Has anyone experienced this reflection on the windscreen? How can I avoid this and get a clear image of the people in the car?
The polarizer mentioned by Mojo is a good (and working) idea. But make sure that you buy one that doesn't inflict with your camera's exposure meter. (read the hint about the linear polarizers in the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(ph ... #Polarizer )

Hollywood is normally either using polarizers, too, or cars without glass in the windscreen.

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.