interval timer

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

marc

interval timer

Post by marc »

Does anybody have and interval timer that they want to sell? I am very interested in buying one of these but I cannot seem to get a hold of one.
Thanks,
Marc
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Just got this link from a friend of mine. Perhaps you could use one of these?

http://www.intervalometers.com

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks Adreas. However I have a feeling that those are not the kind of timers that fit into the remote socket of the typical super 8 cameras. I did e-mail them to find out if they might have the timers that we use for our cameras so I'll have to see what they say.
Thanks,
Marc
Lunar07

Re: interval timer

Post by Lunar07 »

marc wrote:Does anybody have and interval timer that they want to sell? I am very interested in buying one of these but I cannot seem to get a hold of one.
What camera do you have? Is it Super8?
And if so, does it support ONE frame per second speed?
marc

Post by marc »

It is a Canon 1014E and it does have 1 frame function. I believe any super 8 camera with 1 frame function can use an intervalometer no matter what the make. I also have a rollei movie 6 camera that has 1 frame function and it should work on that as well.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

marc wrote:It is a Canon 1014E and it does have 1 frame function. I believe any super 8 camera with 1 frame function can use an intervalometer no matter what the make. I also have a rollei movie 6 camera that has 1 frame function and it should work on that as well.
Well, every camera has a one frame function :) the variable is the speed :) I believe that you mean 1 FPS by the 1 frame function you mention above.
Someone posted a circuit for an intervalometer here. Building these things is not difficult. Or you can search using Google for intervalometers and awand gave you a link. Even if an intervalometer comes with some connection that does not fit the remote of the camera, you can always get or build an adapter.
Make sure that the intervalometer you get is a pulsating one shot circuit of a duration that is less than a second. The pulse is what determines, of course, the time between the frames. The one shot circuit of a duration that is less than a second ensures that only one frame is taken for every pulse when camera is set to 1 FPS.
pelluet

Post by pelluet »

Marc

What is it you actually require from an interval timer? I have just bought off Ebay a Sankyo interval timer for $9.99 which you plug in to the remote socket of the camera and then with the camera set to single frame it will give you timed intervals of between 1 frame a second and 1 frame a minute.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 61227&rd=1

These do come up from time to time and might be useful if thats the effect you want?

Mike.
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks mike. I realize that they do come up from time to time but it just seems like a shot in the dark. My luck has not played out yet.
Marc
pelluet

Post by pelluet »

Hi Marc

I have a regular search on Sankyo, if one comes up I'll let you know.

Best etc

Mike :wink:
marc

Post by marc »

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I do not have time to make my own. Too bad the wide screen center does not have them anymore.
Marc
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I was very lucky to get the original interval timer for my Canon 1014 E, the interval timer E. Though it took many months of searching. I had no luck at second hand camera shops or the camera fair. I placed an advertisement in the local paper and got a reply. But this person was moving house and never called back. Finally I got one from a member of a film makers club who had no need of it anymore. Good luck.
marc

Post by marc »

Patrick,
How is your 1014 holding up? Are you keeping it in top condition? How much milage have you put on it? I think that I remember talking to you in the past about it. If I recall, you were have some kind of electrical shorting issue with it. Did you have anybody take a look at it?
Marc
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

My 1014 is running smoothly, Marc. Yes, I think I do recall a conversation we had about the cam a long time ago. This camera has always been reliable (mostly). It was the very first super 8 camera that I got (in early 1998) and still is the main camera that I use. It definitely is more versatile than all my other cams.

When I was on holiday in Vancouver, it went dead all of a sudden. Refused to work. I turned it on and off again and pushed a few switches and it came back to life. Never had this problem before. If I recall vaguely, I think this may have happened again back in Australia some time ago. But that must have been temporary because its been working perfectly for ages now. I used it for this international time lapse project, complete with the interval timer E.

Out of curiosity, how long have you had your 1014 E? Has it grown on you like mine has?
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Patrick,
I do not know if you recall but the first time that I had spoken to you I did not own one. Previous to our first conversation I had two of them at two different times but I had to sell them for various reasons. I finally got another one not too long ago and I am happy about that. When I bought it, the seller told me that it was in mint condition and for the most part it does look pretty good and all of the functions work on it. However, when I got it I noticed that it had a slight amount of lense element seperation( barely noticable and seemingly outside of the optical path) but I do not think that it is anything consequential. Also I noticed that it makes a lot of noise when running but if I turn it on it's side or, especially, upsidedown it does not make that noise. I am thinking that it is something minor like a loose film transport indicator wheel. The timing at different speeds is right on the mark. Other than these issues I really cannot complain. If you put a wide angle adapter on your 1014, make sure to put an extension ring on first. there is not much distance between the threads and the front lens element. This will keep you from scratching the lens.
danpuddick

make one

Post by danpuddick »

There was a topic before which had a link to how to make a intervalvometer, ( i can;t remeber where it was - sorry) I found out some of the prices of the the components and it came to less than £6 with parts from Maplin (a UK electronics chain). That price included quite a sturdy case and cables. It looks simple enough for even me! I'm going to try and put one together this week and I'll report back on it.
keep on truckin'
daniel