Angenieux 12-120mm filter size?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

film_idaho

Angenieux 12-120mm filter size?

Post by film_idaho »

Hey quick question what is the filter size for my Angenieux 12-120mm lens?

My local photo shop is having a filter blow out! Buy one get one free! I was thinking about getting a UV and a polarizer.

But now that I think about it these filters were made for 35mm still cameras how affective will them be on my Beaulieu R 16?

Thanks

Alex
Last edited by film_idaho on Sun May 21, 2006 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eat or make art? I choose art.
avr

Post by avr »

I´m not sure if your lens is the same that i had but I think that is 72mm.
I have one in my eclair ACl 16mm and I used 72mm filter on it.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

I can check when I get home this evening - all I can say is that it is quite large compared to the average 35mm lens.

As fror the suitability, only in that certain filters tend to be used more in motion picture than in stills, such as ND.

Remember with the polariser - the front element of the angenieux rotates to focus so it might be awkward with a polariser.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
hellesdonfilms

Post by hellesdonfilms »

I have one of these lenses and it is definately 72mm.
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

Okay cool…

But now I guess what two filters should I pick? I really want the blue saturation that a polarizer gives. As for the second filter I guess a ND would be swell and good? Any other suggestions? :)

Alex
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

I know you're a fan of black and white film, so why not pick a filter suitable for just that purpose, for example orange, or a yellow filter?

//Dr Strangelove
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

I am talking about functionality for the time being. A 72mm filter will cost me a pretty penny so I want something I will be using for awhile.

And I am addicted to that deep blue effect. :lol:

Alex
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

For 'functionality' you should get two ND filters.
mattias

Post by mattias »

you don't get saturated blues per se by using a polarizer. the sky will get darker and more saturated because the sky reflects the sun at certain angles and that reflection is reduced, but a blue jacket won't.

/matt
avr

Post by avr »

There are other great filters like LOW CONTRAST, very useful in suny days because they give you some detail in dark shadows.
etimh

Post by etimh »

Well, you should definitely get a standard UV/Haze just to protect the front element of that Angenieux, right? I have one on all of my cameras and unless I need to change out to the 85B or something for black and white, they stay on all the time. I've never really compared images shot without a UV/haze so I can't say what the difference is. But I'm always happy with the images I get.

Regardless, at 72mm, even a UV/Haze or skylight is going to cost a bit so if you have to choose, start with it. It really contributes to your piece of mind too--bang the camera around and not worry about scratching or dinging that front element. Scratch (or worse, crack) the UV and just toss it away. Next, I would get a yellow or a red--wild, interesting stuff with the red and black&white film.

Tim
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Yea, it is 72mm. I have a C mount one with the dogleg on it that I use on a H 16 Bolex.
A lens cap is good to have. And they are real cheap, too. Plastic is fine.
I bought a warming filter and it turned out to be the 85 so I shot some K40 and it was super! The same filter works for B&W to darken blues and lighten oranges.
Skylight filter is used to warm up shots in shadow with lots of reflected blue sky light and no direct sun. Haze filters are more clear.
Polorizers are of two types, some are circular and some linear? One type works with that lens, the circular I guess. I don't have one.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
etimh

Post by etimh »

studiocarter wrote:A lens cap is good to have.
Don't know if you were commenting on my assertions about the lens protection qualities of the UV/Haze, but of course, I keep lens caps on all of my cameras as well.

Lens caps are cheap and yes, great for storage. But it can be a little difficult to get an image if you're using it for lens protection while shooting! :wink:

Tim
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

I had asked the same question about the same lens a while back, along with the same question about the 9.5-95mm lens and got no answers, although, I don't know if I asked here. So, a lens cap, which I did not have, was where I started. It was cheap and it fit so I bought a filter then I really knew that 72 was the answer.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

I had asked the same question about the same lens a while back, along with the same question about the 9.5-95mm lens and got no answers, although, I don't know if I asked here. So, a lens cap, which I did not have, was where I started. It was cheap and it fit so I bought a filter then I really knew that 72 was the answer.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking