What to put with 7 hours of film...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Post by mattias »

What about algorithmic/randomized music? I haven't really looked into it myself but if you could somehow feed the image data as the seed for each reel you'd get different yet similar music... /matt
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

There's a program for Mac that creates aleatory music from samples based on its own 'randomly' generated sequences, but you can also make sound from still images with several programs...
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

sounds from still images? You wanna run that by me one more time, Evan?
mattias

Post by mattias »

Dr_Strangelove wrote:sounds from still images? You wanna run that by me one more time, Evan?
these programs create music based on applying an algorithm on some arbitrary input data. the same data always creates the same music and different data always creates different music. in a still image i assume it calculates the frequencies and base the music on that, but for a movie you need something else since its constantly changing and you want the music to be connected to the scene and not the individual image. a motion detector perhaps? it would be cool if the intensity of the music increased when there's lots of movement and vice versa.

/matt
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

I know this guy, he's a real dangerous criminal. A "scofflaw" if you will, The kind of person who rebroadcasts major league baseball games with implyed oral consent instead of express written concent. One of those types.':twisted:'

Anyway, when he does transfers, he just takes the persons favorite cds and dumps the music behind the film.

I know, I know, I tried to warn him. He knows he's breaking the law. He know that if he gets caught he hasn't a leg to stand on. He just says that since the only people who ever watch them are the friends he makes them, he isn't too worried about getting busted.

So sad, we all pray for him.

Just makes sure you don't do that.

Joe
Zevon forever!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

mattias

Post by mattias »

Joe Gioielli wrote:he just takes the persons favorite cds and dumps the music behind the film.
for 7 hours?

/matt
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

Matt-

Well, my crazy friend says that he wouldn't want to do anything for 7 hours except sleep. He has never done a job that big. But he doesn't think coming up with 7 hours of music would be all that hard. 8 average cds would be enough. He thinks most people have more tha 8 cds. Rember, he is talking about copy-righted music, not royalty free. Like I said, he;s a bad guy headed for trouble.

Personally, I have over 500 cds and a full 4mp ipod mini. I would have ample music to use. But remember, that would be against the law. Someting I would never do. Only my crazy friend would do that.

I wouldn't go the 7 hour route, but if I had to, I would rather have some kind of music than silence. Not that it would matter. After 3 or 4 hour of wathcing my own footage, the only sound I'd hear would be my own screams.':oops:'

YMMV

Joe
Zevon forever!
mattias

Post by mattias »

Joe Gioielli wrote:But he doesn't think coming up with 7 hours of music would be all that hard. 8 average cds would be enough.
if that's all it takes why doesn't he just tell his friends to play the records while watching the movie? i thought the idea was that the music should somehow make sense for the footage it's playing against. ;-)

/matt
jpolzfuss

Re: What to put with 7 hours of film...

Post by jpolzfuss »

reflex wrote:Here's one way to do it: Include a couple of checkboxes on a submission form that let people choose what audio they want to accompany their film. State on the form that if they don't choose, it will be silent. That covers your back while giving the client a choice.

Their choices are actually fairly limited, because you can't throw on 7 hours of music unless the copyright is cleared (there was a previous thread about this).
The best way is of course the client providing the CDs: no CDs = silence, CDs = the soundtrack the client really wanted ;)
This also covers most copyright-problems here in Europe (since this would be an allowed "private copy" unless the CD has got some working copy-protection). But if I got it correctly, this form of "private copy" wouldn't be allowed in the USA,e.g., anymore :(
This space was left intenionally blank.
mattias

Post by mattias »

jpolzfuss wrote:This also covers most copyright-problems here in Europe
no, please don't give legal advice if you don't know the law. the fact that you use it as a soundtrack makes fair use inapplicable. by all means do it anyway, it seems to be morally ok with most people and you probably won't get busted, but it's not legal.

/matt
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

mattias wrote:no, please don't give legal advice if you don't know the law.
I was refering to this article: a "private copy" of an unprotected Audio-CD is allowed here in Germany. This includes copying the Audio-CD to tape, onto your MP3-player or to your home-video. That's why the customer has to own the Audio-CD:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/72755
Most other European countries do have the same situation, France even allows this "private copy" even if the Audio-CD has got any form of copy-protection.
This space was left intenionally blank.
mattias

Post by mattias »

jpolzfuss wrote:I was refering to this article: a "private copy" of an unprotected Audio-CD is allowed here in Germany.
i know, but that's a very different thing. using music as a soundtrack is derivative work, not a copy.

/matt
reflex

Post by reflex »

jpolzfuss wrote:
mattias wrote:no, please don't give legal advice if you don't know the law.
I was refering to this article: a "private copy" of an unprotected Audio-CD is allowed here in Germany. This includes copying the Audio-CD to tape, onto your MP3-player or to your home-video. That's why the customer has to own the Audio-CD:
There is nothing "private" about lending your CD to a film transfer company and paying them to copy it onto a DVD. ;)
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

If you engage in a commercial transaction with a vendor, i.e. exchange money for duplication services, you're definately outside the "private copy" and "fair use" clauses of copyright laws. It's then an unauthorized commercial duplication, and is prosecutable.