Nikon R8/R10 zoom stick

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Nikon R8/R10 zoom stick

Post by etimh »

Does anybody have an extra screw-in zoom stick for a Nikon R8/R10? I also need the original metal Nikon lens cap for the R8. Someone sitting on these?

Thanks.

Tim
aj

Re: Nikon R8/R10 zoom stick

Post by aj »

etimh wrote:Does anybody have an extra screw-in zoom stick for a Nikon R8/R10? I also need the original metal Nikon lens cap for the R8. Someone sitting on these?

Thanks.

Tim
Sorry, I have neither to spare. You have to find the beautiful cromed extensible zoom-handle with a broken down one...

The R8 didn't have a metal lens cap like the R10. Is is more plastic like with the spring loaded knobs at two sides.
Kind regards,

André
etimh

Re: Nikon R8/R10 zoom stick

Post by etimh »

aj wrote:The R8 didn't have a metal lens cap like the R10. Is is more plastic like with the spring loaded knobs at two sides.
Oh, that's good to know. I love that front metal cap on the R10 and thought the R8 had it as well. Thanks.

Tim
etimh

Post by etimh »

Found this pic at mondofoto. There's the R8 plastic cap on the left. :wink:

Thanks again aj.

http://www.mondofoto.com

Tim
aj

Post by aj »

Indeed, looks like the one on my R8.
Which happens to be in original box etc. There is no print on the cap and it is unlike the 52mm still camera caps.

Actually I bought a new modern Nikon 67mm cap which are now standard on on new lenses. Much much easier to handle! It is off in a second. And the metal cap always felt a bit tricky around the large frontlens which could easily be scratched by the rim of the original metal cap. But indeed it looks very much in harmony with the rest of the design of the camera.
Kind regards,

André
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

etimh, you could just get a Nikon cap from eBay, couldn't you? Are you looking for one for the R8 or the R10?

Also, do you know if the stick has to be "for" the R8/R10? I wonder if the thread size is common and you could use a different one? I think I have a spare stick for another camera and if it works you can have it. But since I'm moving to Idaho in a few months I stashed all my cams (execpt the Minolta XL601 and NIkon R10) at my grandmas' house. I'm going over there soon....I'll give it a look.
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
etimh

Post by etimh »

hey sooper, the cap is for our new R8. You've got to get one--I think its my new favorite camera. Imagine a lighter, more comfortable, easier to handle R10. Really retains the great looks of the R10 too. And its so much quieter than I thought it would be--definitely less noise than my R10.

This one's a little banged up, but everything seems to be working really fine. I think its going to become my "combat" camera for use in rough and tumble situations. A beautiful camera but I won't be worried about it knocking around. Put a UV filter on there to protect the lens and I'll be ready for anything.

Yeah, I can get any lens cap, I suppose. I'm going to go buy a generic one tomorrow. But the zoom stick is kind of an aesthetic thing. I was just hoping I could get one of the originals--keep the cool look. Thanks for the stick offer nonetheless.

Tim
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

Mahaha. Idaho eh? What part?

Alex
Eat or make art? I choose art.
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

film_idaho wrote:
Mahaha. Idaho eh? What part?
dude, i've told you a million times...CDA or Post Falls. Who knows, maybe someday we can be friends....me and etimh are friends now after our rocky start, maybe you're next and I can help you get your driver's license! or take you to a rated R movie! :wink:
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
etimh

Post by etimh »

You guys should be friends. I don't really know much about Idaho but you might be among the very few folks working with small format film up in them parts. Who knows, if you guys are in close proximity, you might even be able to work on some project together.

Tim
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

Post Falls and CDA are in the panhandle pretty far from me. I live in Idaho Falls its closer to Salt Lake City or even Boise.

But I do plan on going to Sundance next year it would be on your way down. So if you want to go to Sundance next year I'm going.

And even earlier I'm going to go to the Jackson Hole Film Festival. That's in early June.

Alex

Oh yeah and I can already drive.
Eat or make art? I choose art.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

etimh wrote:But the zoom stick is kind of an aesthetic thing. I was just hoping I could get one of the originals--keep the cool look. Thanks for the stick offer nonetheless.

Tim
I have 10 or 12 of these levers from different cams and not a single one of them threads onto anything other than the designated unit. Pah!
However, you might find something totally un-related that works. Lots of machines employ nice looking anodized shafts with threaded ends. You could cut off the head and cap it...and dismantling stuff is fun and provides for a large cache of bits and pieces for future mods/repairs.
Or, just keep looking...~:?)

Mitch
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

The original telescoping zoom stick that clicks into place is really cool and rare. You might check eBay from time to time but you're better off getting a junker camera. An R8 went for $25 the other day.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

The R8 lens uses a standard 52mm Nikon lens cap.