Blagging Fuji film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

reflex

Re: Cheating

Post by reflex »

PHILIE-T wrote:John, get real. Don't act like your a saint. Have you never tried to get something cheap when your really broke but desperate to make a film or something. It's not like im asking ways to steal out of there warehouse or anything.
Don't give us this crap. Few of us have stacks of spare money sitting around. Personally, I have a young old son who tops my list of priorities - preschool, clothes, soccer, and so on. That takes nearly every penny I have.

I don't pretend to be someone I'm not "to get a deal" from film companies. Instead, I ask them if they can help me with specific projects -- and often I get discounts or free shipping, or even the occasional product sample.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Film is cheaper than its ever been. if you look at the prices on old rolls of film and account for inflation you'll see that we have nothing to complain about. we should be happy there is an alternative to video. We should also be grateful that we have helpful people like Mr. Pytlak that work for Kodak.

Rusty
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

reflex wrote:
PHILIE-T wrote:John, get real. Don't act like your a saint. Have you never tried to get something cheap when your really broke but desperate to make a film or something. It's not like im asking ways to steal out of there warehouse or anything.
Don't give us this crap. Few of us have stacks of spare money sitting around. Personally, I have a young old son who tops my list of priorities - preschool, clothes, soccer, and so on. That takes nearly every penny I have.

I don't pretend to be someone I'm not "to get a deal" from film companies. Instead, I ask them if they can help me with specific projects -- and often I get discounts or free shipping, or even the occasional product sample.
so basicly you do what im asking about..You play the sympathy card with Kodak.. "Kodak, i have a young son, and no money please can you help me out" You use the beg tactic... And essentially that was what this post was about...discussing begging tactics... So you play the I have a child card..good on you... I may try that one..but for the mean time i have a fake Student union card...gonna give that a go...!!!!!!!
mattias

Post by mattias »

PHILIE-T wrote:Have you never tried to get something cheap when your really broke but desperate to make a film or something.
oh come on. You haven't either obviously. If you had you would have noticed that there are discounts available to everyone. It's just the student discount you have to be a student for. And even that can be stretched a bit. Just make the god damn call. /matt
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Evan Kubota wrote:Many of us are students of film without going to a film school ;) It seems like it would be more equitable for Kodak to extend their discount to amateur filmmakers in general - amateur defined as not working for a profit-motivated endeavor.
Kodak lost $298 million last quarter and are considering selling their medical imaging business to clear up billions in debt and focus on main-market revenue opportunities.

They're probably looking for donations, not opportunities to further discount their products. ;-)
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

Sorry to butt in, but I think we should consider dropping this. This is a moral question. In the end, we all decided for ourselves what is right and wrong, and people respond to us based on their feeling regarding our choices.

Joe
Zevon forever!
reflex

Post by reflex »

PHILIE-T wrote:so basicly you do what im asking about..You play the sympathy card with Kodak.. "Kodak, i have a young son, and no money please can you help me out" You use the beg tactic...
Rubbish -- leave my son out of this. I simply mentioned him to provide a bit of background, but you missed the point: you're not the only one who doesn't have sacks full of money to spend on filmmaking.

I ask people at the film companies if discounts are available for indie projects and their reps invariably ask about it. I describe it honestly. The company retains the right to say no, and I am completely up-front about what I am looking for. Nothing is stopping you from doing exactly the same thing.

That's a world away from someone who gets his hands on a blank student card and lies to get a discount he doesn't qualify for.
www.retrothing.com
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

Hear hear!
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

yeah im a right bad boy me. thats for sure. im mugging over fuji for a few rolls of 100ft . while some cunts in america bomb iraq. i,m a proper modern day hitler innit.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"They're probably looking for donations, not opportunities to further discount their products."

Even if the student discount was 50% the loss in profit would be a drop in the bucket compared to the other, massive costs that resulted in a net loss this quarter... let's not delude ourselves into thinking that sales of film to students makes up a significant part of Kodak's business. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on this, if available.

Plus, a lot of people (myself included) would simply go to Fuji if the Kodak discount wasn't available any longer. Many Fuji dealers have great processing and transfer packages that save a lot of money.
reflex

Post by reflex »

PHILIE-T wrote:yeah im a right bad boy me. thats for sure. im mugging over fuji for a few rolls of 100ft . while some cunts in america bomb iraq. ... blah, blah... Hitler...
"Cripes," thinks PHILIE-T. "I can't morally justify my position, so I'll bring up Hitler and the Americans. Yeah. That'll distract everyone."
www.retrothing.com
René

Post by René »

PHILIE-T wrote:yeah im a right bad boy me. thats for sure. im mugging over fuji for a few rolls of 100ft . while some cunts in america bomb iraq. i,m a proper modern day hitler innit.
You're right. Why are we discussing film topics over here, when there's so much trouble going on in the world today... :roll:

Why does everybody seem to ignore the point that Mattias and I made: Just talk to Kodak. Drop by your sales rep and explain what you want to do. Simple as that.

René.
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

Dont mind PHILIE-T, he's just frustrated and thinks the whole world is against him, yes indeed the whole world is against you PHILIE-T :roll:

Godspeed PHILIE-T.