Blagging Fuji film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

morales72

Post by morales72 »

So, Mr. Pytlak, the only way to become a professional filmaker is to go to film school?
I am not asking for an "amateur discount" either, would be to hard to stablish amateurism, but I don't think of the industry being "saviours of a product" (in this case this company invented) whatsoever.
John_Pytlak

Student Discounts

Post by John_Pytlak »

morales72 wrote:So, Mr. Pytlak, the only way to become a professional filmaker is to go to film school?
I am not asking for an "amateur discount" either, would be to hard to stablish amateurism, but I don't think of the industry being "saviours of a product" (in this case this company invented) whatsoever.
Sure you can become a professional filmmaker without going to film school. But you are not defined as a "student" eligible for the student discount.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
morales72

Post by morales72 »

Thanks for your answer, Mr. Pytlak. I understand that's Kodak policy and of course they have the right to stablish them. I just felt upset about your affirmation. That's it.
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

morales72 wrote:Thanks for your answer, Mr. Pytlak. I understand that's Kodak policy and of course they have the right to stablish them. I just felt upset about your affirmation. That's it.
From the Philie-T's original posting, that seems to be the policy of Fujifilm too.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
morales72

Post by morales72 »

Playing the race card is something which is done far too much. It doesn't wash anymore. You think accusing someone of being a racist on the basis of a statement which has NOTHING to do with race is clever because it sticks.
I wasn't playing any "card" to get anything. I pay for my rolls. I was questioning Mr. Pytlak's affirmation only.
Accusing someone of being a racist when they are not- that IS offensive and insulting!
This is your opinion as I always expressed mine above, not an "universal thruth" like you are trying to stablish. I might be wrong in what I am saying, so, if Mr Pytlak stops avoiding the issue I'm addressing and something makes me see I'm definitelly wrong, I am ready to apologize if I insulted anyone, as you sentence.
TronX

Post by TronX »

This may be a liitle of topic - though not more so then a debate on racism - but does the student discount apply to highschool students? It seems that we are just as economically disadvataged as any university film student. Or is it just another way to reafirm the notion that being a kid sucks?
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Is yours a film high school? ;)

It seems to me that a 'student' discount should apply to anyone who is a student.
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

morales72 wrote:Mogzy, would you like "discrimination" word better? I insist, it isn't about Kodak. It's an observation over Mr. Pytlak's affirmation, quite surprising for me coming from a centered person like him.
No need to apologise to me, I certainly have no right to take it personally, its just there is a BIG difference between accusing a person/ organisation of being "discriminatory" and calling them "racist". Racism is one of the most illogical and abhorrant crimes known to man (as we in Europe know only too well). Wrongly labelling someone "racist" is highly offensive to MOST people (though granted not all- opinions differ).

"Discriminatory" on the other hand has a very different tone. You are quite right to say it is a discriminatory policy- People and organisations discriminate all the time based on all kinds of factors, some of which ARE logical and justifiable- like giving student film-makers a leg up.

If everyone was given a discount, it would no longer be a discount. It doesn't matter which country you are at film school in (so there is no NATIONAL discrimination).

On a practical note, I am a student (though not at a film-school) and some photo shops give a student discounts on production of a student ID.
film_idaho

Post by film_idaho »

TronX wrote:This may be a liitle of topic - though not more so then a debate on racism - but does the student discount apply to highschool students? It seems that we are just as economically disadvataged as any university film student. Or is it just another way to reafirm the notion that being a kid sucks?
Sure does! Just nicely explain what high school you attend and any other information they may or may not ask for. (30% discount on Super 8/16mm/35mm).

Well worth the few extra minutes you have to spend on the phone explaining yourself. :)

Cheers and good luck TronX

Alex
Eat or make art? I choose art.
John_Pytlak

Student Discounts

Post by John_Pytlak »

morales72 wrote:I am ready to apologize if I insulted anyone, as you sentence.
You need to be a student to be eligible for a student discount. That is not a "racist" statement. So an apology for that poor and insulting choice of words would be appreciated. Thank you.

You may disagree with Kodak's and Fuji's policy, that I "affirmed", but as I said:
Student discounts are meant to help student filmmakers who on a career path to being professional filmmakers.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

Ya know, they don't HAVE to give a discount to anyone. It isn't like there are a million companies selling color film. :D

When you ask for help in finding out what the best to "cheat" the system is, you have to expect a little blow back. :oops: No one likes a cheat.

Here is what you do if you need to buy film but are short on cash. Get a job, and save money. Find ways to save money. Don't eat out, stop smoking, whatever. Find a way to lower you spending and save the money. Sure, it may take awhile, but life isn't a fairy tale. The more money you make, the more you save, the sooner you have your film.

Now don't tell me you can't do that, because that is exactly how I do it. I'm currently saving up for some Fuji 50. If I'm careful, should have enough by July.

The only people I've found that have a real complaint are students. It is very hard to go to school fulltime and work a fulltime job.

Gee, maybe someone aught to give them a discount.'8)
Zevon forever!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Looking at list prices Fuji comes in lower...

Use the price of Fuji as leverage to get Kodak to come down. If the Big-K doesn't want to move on price to get your business take it somewhere else.

I have found that both companies are very good at matching.

Good Luck
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

Last time I checked Kodak in NZ had a Student AND "emerging filmmaker" discount.
mattias

Post by mattias »

kodak gives discount to everyone who needs it and who has something to offer in return, so does fuji. call them and explain your situation instead of sitting here complaining about policies you know nothing about.

(that's kodak sweden and fuji netherlands. i can't comment on other branches but my guess is it's the same)

/matt
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

As the original post refers to pounds "£" I assume that PHILIE-T is from the UK? Is this correct?

If so speak to Fuji or Kodak about a possible discount.

I know fuji will look at doing discounts for emerging filmmakers but I'm not sure who to contact about this. It's always best to speak to the right person.

At Kodak UK for a possible discount as an emerging filmmaker you need to speak to Dan Clark (Emerging Filmmakers Manager). He may be able to help you out if you explain your project to him.

I don’t know if Kodak in the US has an emerging filmmaker rep. but the prices for film from Kodak in the US are a lot cheaper than Kodak UK prices so maybe this has something to do with it.

Chris.