Red Eye Cam & WorkPrinter XP....

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

johnnhud

Red Eye Cam & WorkPrinter XP....

Post by johnnhud »

For those of you who are always saying that S8 film has more info than a 3ccd DV or HD camera can even pick up....how about the new Red Camera?

This baby is capable of 11 Megapixles!!!

Check out the following links

http://www.red.com/

http://www.fxguide.com/article347.html

I know we are all Film Fanatics but if you had the opportunity to shoot with this Red Cam or 35mm which would you choose?
reflex

Re: Red Eye Cam & WorkPrinter XP....

Post by reflex »

johnnhud wrote:This baby is capable of 11 Megapixles!!!

I know we are all Film Fanatics but if you had the opportunity to shoot with this Red Cam or 35mm which would you choose?
I'd choose 35mm, because the RED camera is vaporware. They apparently have one prototype, but they haven't released any video samples so this thing could be fantastic, or it could be a lump of warm turd. Nobody knows.

Also, the RED camera's proposed 11 megapixel imager is CMOS, not CCD. I'm unsure how this will impact the proposed quality of their unreleased product.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

High-end digital photography and cinematography is owned by CMOS imagers.

From Arri:
The ARRIFLEX D-20 is film style digital camera. Because of its single, Super 35 sized CMOS sensor, the D-20 uses the same lenses as 35 mm film cameras and has the same depth of field as 35 mm film.
http://www.arri.com/entry/camera.htm[/quote]
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

This is only the second day I have been aware of this red camera thing and I'm already growing weary. :)

Oh, the arguments that we are going to have about how good or bad it is. Will it work as advertised?

Heck, better than arguing k40 vs 64t.

I do think we shouldn't get too excited until this thing actually appears in the real world, not just an image on a screen or in a "glass cage" at a trade show.

All kidding aside though, don't spend any money on this thing until you can check it out in the flesh. This thing smell like a "Jesusbox" to me.

"...not until I have touched His palms and placed my hand in His wound."

Hopeful but cautious
Joe
Zevon forever!
Guy Bennett

Since you asked...

Post by Guy Bennett »

Frankly, I couldn't care less how many megapixels this or any other camera has or will have, or how that stacks up in terms of resolution in relation to film, super 8 or otherwise.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm interested in the look and materiality of film, with its various benefits and shortcomings, and am totally indifferent to digital as a cinematic medium.
reflex

Re: Since you asked...

Post by reflex »

Guy Bennett wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I'm interested in the look and materiality of film, with its various benefits and shortcomings, and am totally indifferent to digital as a cinematic medium.
The day will come when affordable digital video will match the latitude and aesthetic appeal of film. It would be foolish not to embrace digital at that point, because the alternative is simply misplaced romanticism.

A camera is merely a tool, and should be selected on the basis of its suitability for the job at hand.
www.retrothing.com
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

reflex wrote:The day will come when affordable digital video will match the latitude and aesthetic appeal of film. It would be foolish not to embrace digital at that point, because the alternative is simply misplaced romanticism.
When that point comes, I'll definitely look into it. For the time being however, I'm watching from afar...
reflex

Post by reflex »

Guy Bennett wrote:When that point comes, I'll definitely look into it. For the time being however, I'm watching from afar...
Well spoken. :)
www.retrothing.com
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

The internet is abuzz with talk of this RED camera...

I personally think their priorities are in the wrong place. No optical viewfinder... just a crappy LCD, not even an EVF. That's pretty lame and makes it feel like a cheap miniDV camera. Also, it's silver ;)

I smell vaporware.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Evan Kubota wrote: I personally think their priorities are in the wrong place. No optical viewfinder... just a crappy LCD, not even an EVF. That's pretty lame and makes it feel like a cheap miniDV camera.
Man, did you hit it dead on. Looks cheap and, feature wise, totally the opposite from how I would like to handle a camera.
Evan Kubota wrote:Also, it's silver ;)
Yeah, what the hell is up with that?
Evan Kubota wrote:I smell vaporware.
We can only hope so......

Roger
sarmoti

Post by sarmoti »

RED has been vaporware for a couple of years (although publicly announced recently) but it's being developed by a billionare, looks like they are getting closer to delivering.

For an affordable digital cinema camera one should also look at Silicon Imaging's camera. http://www.siliconimaging.com/

It's a more realistic device (storage-wise and workflow-wise). It's being placed in the $15K range with lenses and recording solution. It's being shown at NAB right now and the company has a good reputation of delivering products that they announce. Looks like it might be available this year.
/Matthew Greene/