My Super-8 film on DVD available to buy online

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

My Super-8 film on DVD available to buy online

Post by npcoombs »

Shameless plug this, but seeing as though I'm ploughing all my spare cash into the Super-8 Cities Project and a planned super-16 short I think its only fair. It would be great if anyone has the ability to show some support for my filmmaking.

My Super-8 Documentary 'The Burning of Girolamo Savonarola' is available on DVD for only $7, 6 euros or £4 + P&P

The same price goes for my other films 'Winter Water' (16 minutes) and 'The Interior' (35 minute travel doc across Iceland)

And all three are available for $15, 3 individually boxed films.

Top quality covers, DVD menus, and all that stuff...

http://www.workhorse.tv/dvd.htm

Image :?
Last edited by npcoombs on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
npcoombs

Re: My Super-8 film on DVD available to buy online

Post by npcoombs »

Clarification: Only my most recent 'Savonarola' doc was shot on Super-8. The other two films were shot on DV.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

That's great, Congrats. I notice from the art work the films are PAL. Do you plan to release in NTSC??? I think I need to buy a PAL DVD player. Is it true that they will play NTSC too??? I wish the world would get together on this stuff.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

flatwood wrote:That's great, Congrats. I notice from the art work the films are PAL. Do you plan to release in NTSC??? I think I need to buy a PAL DVD player. Is it true that they will play NTSC too??? I wish the world would get together on this stuff.
I certainly could create an NTSC disc if the demand is there. It would be quite time consuming for my current schedule, but if I get about 10 interested people from NTSC land I would certainly consider it.

My PAL DVD player plays NTSC discs from the States.

Cheers!
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

npcoombs wrote:My PAL DVD player plays NTSC discs from the States. Cheers!
Sounds like what I need to do is get a PAL dvd player. The last NTSC one I bought was $30 at Walmart :D

Thanks again.
carlweston

Post by carlweston »

A lot of dvd players in the usa play pal but for what ever reason they don't always promot this feature..
Check the DVD's I'm selling at http://www.graffitivideos.com/grafcore2000trailer.htm
Tools
DVX100A, TRV8, TRV315, DCR-HC20, Nizo S80, Beaulieu 4008MZ, Beaulieu 4008MZII, Bauer C107XL, EUMIG 65 XL
I Hope I'm Not Turning Into a Camera Collector.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

carlweston wrote:A lot of dvd players in the usa play pal but for what ever reason they don't always promot this feature..
Thanks for the tip. Ive got a PAL dvd at the studio and Ill check my dvd players to see if one of them will play it. Thanks again.
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

hey! always good to see people self funding their own projects and selling them. you dont get much purerer than that.. unless u gave them out for free that is..i guess. I havnt seen any of your films but i will chek them out... anyone got a torrent??

jokie
hassan

Post by hassan »

npcoombs wrote:It would be great if anyone has the ability to show some support for my filmmaking.
Like your support for Small Format?
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

hassan wrote:
npcoombs wrote:It would be great if anyone has the ability to show some support for my filmmaking.
Like your support for Small Format?
I am subscriber to both Super-8 Today and Small Format. I am writing an article for s8 Today and would happily contribute to Small Format.
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

npcoombs wrote:I certainly could create an NTSC disc if the demand is there. It would be quite time consuming for my current schedule, but if......
Dont worry about doing that. Once I get a solid PAL DVD player I'll order my copy. Thanks.
mattias

Post by mattias »

flatwood wrote:I think I need to buy a PAL DVD player. Is it true that they will play NTSC too???
yes. and while they do handle the framerate they might output pal y/c and composite signals so to connect it to an ntsc tv you need to use component rgb. but you'd probably want to do that anyway.

/matt
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

mattias wrote:yes. and while they do handle the framerate they might output pal y/c and composite signals so to connect it to an ntsc tv you need to use component rgb......
You mean even the tvs are protocol specific too???? Dang!! I have lead a too sheltered life. Thanks, Matt.
reflex

Post by reflex »

flatwood wrote:That's great, Congrats. I notice from the art work the films are PAL. Do you plan to release in NTSC??? I think I need to buy a PAL DVD player. Is it true that they will play NTSC too??? I wish the world would get together on this stuff.
Many North American players can play PAL right out of the box (or after a quick set of keypresses). It's worth googling your current model -- you may be able to order a PAL copy without trouble.

Here's a link to a $55 Philips DVD player at Wal-Mart (This model is available all over the place - I'm not suggesting anyone consider buying from them). It can play PAL DVDs on North American TVs and can be set to "region free" so it'll play commercial discs that have been restricted to Europe/Asia.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=2598455

It'll also play DivX, which is a decent (and popular) mpeg4 compression technique that'll cram about 10 hours of video onto a DVD.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

0 sales so far, despite the film costing less than a pint of fancy import larger!

Need I mention that the quality of DVD copy is far superior to the quicktime web version...