Casting Advice

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
CHAS

Casting Advice

Post by CHAS »

Being that I live in LA I thought I'd try and make use of the talent pool out here so I placed an ad in a local trade paper, describing the parts I needed. I got some inquiries right away, some people who look pretty damn good.

Now, here's my problem: I've never done this sort of thing before, having just relied on friends or friends of friends, etc. The trade papers warn actors to be wary of "auditions held in private residences" -- but I'm not a studio, I'm not sure where else I could hold an audition. Does anyone have any recommendations? Where do you hold your auditions?
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Maybe in a vacant classroom at your local college? That's what it appears most productions near me do, even ones that are in no way associated with student filmmaking... the other alternative is to do it in a park or similar setting outdoors. I don't usually cast for 'performance,' but rather the actor's inherent personality and look, so I usually just meet them somewhere and talk about the project.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Evan Kubota wrote:Maybe in a vacant classroom at your local college? That's what it appears most productions near me do, even ones that are in no way associated with student filmmaking... the other alternative is to do it in a park or similar setting outdoors. I don't usually cast for 'performance,' but rather the actor's inherent personality and look, so I usually just meet them somewhere and talk about the project.
That's good advice. Since I work at a university I'm going to try and use one of the meeting rooms...have to do it on a weekend when no one is around...