Bell and Howell QX80 Projector

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CToTheH

Bell and Howell QX80 Projector

Post by CToTheH »

Hi, I'm about to buy this projector for 20 dollars. The projector is in working condition and is clean.

Is this a good price??

-Chris
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

Basically I'm in desperate need of a projector. Does anybody know anything about the bell and howell line of projectors. I think this one is from the late 60s maybe.

-Chris
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

My only other offer at this point besides the bell and howell is a nizo braun projector (a silent one) for 60 dollars.

-Chris
marc

Post by marc »

From some of the discussions on this forum about Bell and Howell projectors, I have gathered that they generally develop problems with the take up reel. My experience is consistant with that because I also purchased one off of e bay with the same problem. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new one than send it in for repair. I know some people have discussed repairing the problem on their own. I wonder if these projector repair places can sell a repair kit for this problem specifically :?
This would be cheaper than purchasing another projector or sending it in for repair.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
jopsuper8

Re: Bell and Howell QX80 Projector

Post by jopsuper8 »

Top of the line B&H Dual 8 projector that dates around 1976. Features variable speed and a film counter like those you find on portable cassette recorders. Certainly worth $20, if not substantially more, if working well... but...

Many of the 70s era slimline B&H projectors have major takeup reel drive problems. A metal shaft off the main motor runs back to the reel and drives a clutch mechanism by friction via a rubber stub on the shaft end. This rubber stub dries out over time and loses its grip resulting in poor or no takeup reel strength. The takeup reel may seem to turn fine with no film present, but may not be strong enough to actually wind film. This is why many Ebay sellers presume these projectors "work fine" when they actually do not. Therefore, make sure the projector's takeup reel turns strong as it should when actually winding film.

The rubber tip can be "recoated" by sliding some PVC tubing of the appropriate diameter over the end and securing it with a small O-ring so it makes good contact with the clutches again, but it's not an easy task with some disassembly involved. I've seen some ads on the web of people offering to fix this problem for around $100. You can fix it yourself for well under a buck and a few hours time if you want. I've did it a few times.

Make sure you get the full front dust cover for this projector. Many times it's missing, but this model did have one.
CToTheH wrote:Hi, I'm about to buy this projector for 20 dollars. The projector is in working condition and is clean.

Is this a good price??

-Chris