RAPID SURVEY: what you prefer

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Poliestere

RAPID SURVEY: what you prefer

Post by Poliestere »

Hi guys,
reply to this post with your preference, thanks.

For my next shooting, I prefer to use:
1) Kodachrome 40 (I will have images of excellent quality, with images and colors that will last all the life, 60 years and beyond) *;
2) Fuji Velvia 50D (I will have images of excellent quality, with images and colors that will last about the half of the Kodachrome 40) * *;
3) Ektachrome 64D (I will have images of inferior quality to the others two, and above all with images and colors that will be degraded already only after 20-25 years) * * *

* Values of L.E. (Life Expectancy) effective (from real surveys);
** Values of L.E. calculate from test of accelerated aging from Fuji;
*** Values of L.E. calculate from test of accelerated aging Kodak and re-entering in the average of the Ektachrome family).
Note: all the values of L.E. refer to the same conditions of conservation of the 3 films: conditions of "domestic" conservation (25 C° and RH 50-60%) RH=Relative Humidity
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

For my next shooting, I prefer to shoot PlusX; it'll outlast any color film, I can process it at home, and I've got a ton of it, so why spend money on anything else? Color's for degenerates. Real men shoot PlusX 8)

C'mon, the K40 issue is dead. Nothing more to say here. Grieve and move on.
Robert Hughes
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

audadvnc wrote:
C'mon, the K40 issue is dead. Nothing more to say here. Grieve and move on.
Seriously. I agree 100%. Who cares anymore? Move on.

And to correct Poliestere, it's Ektachrome 64T, is it not?

Poliestere, do you have any clips or frames you can post?
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

By the way, does Kodak agree with your opinion? Library of Congress? Bureau of Archives? National Geographic? Can you point to some reputable evidence that shows E64T will fail within 25 years, or is this merely the passing on of one of the urban myths?
Robert Hughes
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Poliestere has some serious dedication to kodachrome. I agree with you Bob, black and white for this old boy.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Both... I shot 1 cart of K40 and 1 cart of Plus-X in New York over the weekend. I haven't shot Plus-X in S8 yet. It was also the first footage I've shot with my new Moviflex S8. Results should be back in 2 weeks or so.
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

K40, one roll in 16mm, two 100 footers in R8 and one 50 foot cart in S8 - just to say goodbye.

Then, for my normal work, two rolls of triX reversal in 16mm instead of my usual Plus-x negative.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
Mitch Perkins

Re: RAPID SURVEY: what you prefer

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Poliestere wrote:Hi guys,
reply to this post with your preference, thanks.

For my next shooting, I prefer to use:
1) Kodachrome 40 (I will have images of excellent quality, with images and colors that will last all the life, 60 years and beyond) *;
Just transfered a roll of Kodachrome we shot a couple of weeks ago. After having recently played around with the 200T & 500T, it felt like putting the shackles on again with the high-contrast reversal. *No* details in the blacks...blown highlights...never again!

Mitch
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

I really want to try out the negative, but I am scared to purchase it online. Won't the film get fogged from x-rays during inspections? I would be really interested to hear from anyone who has ever ordered it from a website (which I'm sure is a lot of folks). BH has it for a decent price. Plus, I'd have to send it to Spectra or something since no lab near me handles negative processing. At least I can have it transferred at the same place as positive. I recently shot some Tri-X outdoors, bright midday sun reflected off the snow, and I still got great exposure. Plus-x tomorrow!
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

audadvnc wrote:By the way, does Kodak agree with your opinion? Library of Congress? Bureau of Archives? National Geographic? Can you point to some reputable evidence that shows E64T will fail within 25 years, or is this merely the passing on of one of the urban myths?
Good point. Although we can presume the K14 will long outlive any of today's E6 films, it's not the case that the current films fade as quickly as the old Ektachrome films did. By the 80s, the fading was very apparent and changes were made to make non-Kodachrome films more archival.
hassan

Post by hassan »

Fujichrome R25N
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Kodachrome 40 DS8
Fomapan R100 DS8
Ektachrome 64T Super8
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
Angus

Post by Angus »

Probably K40.

And to the people who bang on about no shadow detail on telecine....GET IT TELECINIED PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

K40 was designed for projection, and works best on projection. The neg stocks do have greater lattitude and thus are easier to telecine. K40 requires great care when converting to video...but I find there's actually MORE highlight detail on Kodachrome than any conventional film.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

K40. Some fresh, some as old as 1990.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Poliestere

Post by Poliestere »

Yes Sooper8fan, it is Ektachrome 64T
the K40 issue is dead. Nothing more to say here. Grieve and move on.
The K40 still is not died: it will be still found in commerce for various months in the S.8 format, in various lengths: from the classic cartdrige 50 feet, in roll of 200 feet, roll of 400 feet and roll of 1000 feet. The K40 S.8 will be found for various months still (it will be able to be developed until to the end of 2006).
2) Adding also the format DoubleSuper8, currently in production with K40 100 feet.
3) Moreover it remains regularly in production in the Doppio8mm format, in the sensibility of 25 ISO (K25) in the lengths of 25 feet and 100 feet, and also in the sensibility of 40 ISO (K40), in the lengths of 25 feet and 100 feet.
4) Moreover it is regularly in production in the professional format 16mm.

An example where you can find all these films : http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de/katal ... 4_home.php
Can you point to some reputable evidence that shows E64T will fail within 25 years, or is this merely the passing on of one of the urban myths?
5) It is not an urban myths: the values of L. E. of the film Ektachrome 64T come from rigorous tests executed from the same Kodak on its materials (also b/w, polyester base, triacetate base, also on invertible color films how Ektachrome) in years ' 90, and calculating such values on a type of "domestic" conservation of the film (from test carry out , turn out that to every increase of temperature of approximately 5 C° the duration of coloring of the film is halved: the speech is rather along and complex, with my English it is too much difficult to explain for me, however the data that I have indicated are many real.)