Tips for buying a camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Raimo

Tips for buying a camera

Post by Raimo »

I need advice on how to evaluate a camera for purchase. How do you know if the lens is still good? Is the shutter working properly? etc etc. What are the key things to look for? Where is information available for replacement parts? Are there specific cameras that have problems with aging?
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: " 1 Cor. 13:12
super8man

Post by super8man »

You have COUNTIES in Ontario? Wow, learned another new thing today!

Read my website and you too will learn something about super 8 cameras.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

FWIW:

All of my cameras (except a broken, $3 Yashica) have been purchased from eBay. At first I was fairly intent on reading "functions well" or similar in the description. However, both transactions where the camera was DOA involved sellers who explicitly stated that the items worked perfectly. None of the other cameras have been broken or disappointing in any regard, despite not saying that they worked in the description. For instance, I bought a B&H Filmo for $25 a few weeks ago. The description said "as-is," but I was fairly confident that it would be usable or repairable. Sure enough, it worked perfectly from the box. More expensive/advanced/modern cameras aren't as straightforward, so asking the seller pointed questions might be in order.

Keep in mind that most sellers haven't film tested the camera, but don't let that excuse them from providing you with basic functional information. They can surely put in batteries and see if it runs. If the lightmeter works and the film drive works, the camera is 90% likely to be fine. I've never had unusable or damaged footage due to a camera issue, and I use fresh-from-eBay cameras fairly regularly.
alan doyle

buying cameras...

Post by alan doyle »

ebay can be tough...
sometimes it's eureka,i struck gold..
3 weeks later a rusted piece of malfunctioning crap..turns up on your doorstep...
ask seller lots of questions...about item...

evaluation is simple....
if you have a little money....get a leicina special a canon 814xls or 1014xls
a nikon r8 or r10 a nizo 561 or 801..
what optics do you like....
canon.nikon.schneider....
i shoot and sometimes i score
BK

Post by BK »

This is what I do when I see a camera at the flea market :

a) Look for signs of battery leakage in holder/grip.

b) Use a small flashlight and shine into lens to check for fungus, dust, black bits. Check viewfinder to see if it's clean also. You'll be amazed at what you see hidden down the lens sometimes.

c) Put batteries in to check to see if it runs, light meter reacts to light.

I find Canon's are tough, 9 times out of 10 they work after sitting around for years.

Buying off ebay is a different matter...very hit and miss.

Bill
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Raimo, do you have roots in Finland?
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
jopsuper8

Post by jopsuper8 »

99% of the time Ebay sellers don't know what film equipment is and presume a camera or projector "works perfectly" if the lens focus ring moves freely or the projector bulb lights up. Bought a B&H projector via Ebay advertised as such, but the transmission was shot and needed rebuilt like most late 70s era B&H 8mm projectors found. Told the seller they had two choices... a full refund or a partial refund for repair compensation. Since most sellers know they're in the wrong and don't want the stuff back, they will give large partial refunds. Have had to do this several times and I'm certainly not shy about asking.

jopsuper8