Okay, Okey, So S8 Neg is "Sharper" Than K40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Okay, Okey, So S8 Neg is "Sharper" Than K40

Post by S8 Booster »

Would Rather Call It Offering Better Resolving Power Due To Its Wider Latitude And Speed Or At Least This Is What It Looks Like When Transferred To MiniDV.

just baffeled by some neg stuff i am examining and to me it looks as if it is "much" sharper (or having better resolving power given the conditions) than K40 - at least when transferred. simply amazing to me. particulary some Vision 1 200T, 250D (PRO8) and Fuji F500(PRO8) that Andreas has transferred for me. all but the 250D is shot with my Canon 310XL 18fps/220° shutter - the 250 with the 1014 XLS 24fps 150° shutter

hope to upload some clips in not too long.

next question then: how good are the Andec prints really?
Last edited by S8 Booster on Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Doesn't count. Who said reversal would be sharper than negative? ;)
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

no more than that reversal or k40 has a "hard"er contrast / narrower contrast range yet somewhat better theoretical resolution than most negs so it looks very sharp and the negs wide lattitude makes them less contrasty so they look "softer" or less sharp depending on the eye in charge. ;-)
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
mattias

Post by mattias »

S8 Booster wrote:no more than that reversal or k40 has [...] somewhat better theoretical resolution than most negs
no, the theoretical/lab measured resolution is actually much lower. you get 50% response at 40 lines/mm with k40 and at 60 with vision 2 200t, and at 80 lines/mm where the kodak charts stop you get a 10% response with k40 and 40% with 200t. and of course this is what we've all seen in our tests as well. the people who still think k40 is the sharpest stock have either never tried negative or they confuse grain structure with sharpness.

/matt
Angus

Post by Angus »

Horses for courses.

On projection K40 beats 'em all.

But K40 is very difficult to telecine, so the 200T will tend to *appear* to hold more detail.

Personally I have never shot a photo (still or moving) with more detail than K25 no matter what film I've used.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

mattias:
no disagreement on that. just tried to point out that the absolute max theortical limit for k40 is abt 80lppmm at 20% reponse (or is it 10%?) due to max lab tweak - more or less same as for kodak negs and more or less impossible to acheive under normal shooting conditions so - as you point out - in real life the k40 seems easily beaten by neg. it definately looks like it is.

Angus:
didnt you get some prints from Andec?
what was the film original the prints were nade from? was it neg?
super8man

Post by super8man »

My 8x10 and 5x8 lightning shots (see my website) captured on my Bauer 715XLS were produced by scanning the super 8 strip on a Imacon (made by Hasselblad I believe) and scanned at the highest setting possible (can't remember but 8000dpi sounds about right). It was a dream to be able to correct each pixel of the scene on a G4 and print the final image using the Noritsu machine on chrome paper. It helps having a friend who runs a pro lab!!!
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

after transfer mt 500T looked sharper than my Plus-X 50ASA.

The wider latiutude makes a big difference.
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

just re-found angus´original "print" topic:

Just got back my first neg super 8 and print
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

npcoombs wrote:after transfer mt 500T looked sharper than my Plus-X 50ASA.

The wider latiutude makes a big difference.
I have yet to see 500T in S8 get the credit it deserves.
100D and Vision 3 please
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

why would somebody even compare K40 and a negative stock? it's pointless.....they're really quite different in what they're capable of doing, right? It seems like nobody can get over the fact that K40 is gone, and it seems like so many people are hoping that some other stock is going to be "The Next K40". Just shoot the other stocks and be happy! :wink:
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

k40 is dead.... :cry:
Alex

Post by Alex »

I don't consider the current K-40 to be on par with the K-40 from the late 80's and early 90's.
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

Alex wrote:I don't consider the current K-40 to be on par with the K-40 from the late 80's and early 90's.
possibly i agree on that but the resolving power might not differ.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Booster wrote:"Where There Is Light There Is Vision"
Electrician, 12.5 Bill. BG
"Wo Licht, da Sicht"? :P
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!