Need help wiht negative transfer

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Billbot

Need help wiht negative transfer

Post by Billbot »

Hi all,

I'm going to be shooting a little film next weekend, and I'm shooting on negative stock for the first time.

I'll be using kodak s8 vision2 200t and some 500t.

I'm in California, USA, and I was thinking of either sending it to Yale film or Forde/Flying spot for processing and transfer. I will most likely go for the cheapest unsupervised rate.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which facility would be better? Are there any other options for transfer in the US that would be cheaper? I need basically a 2 week turn around at most.

Thanks!!
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
Captain Howdy

Post by Captain Howdy »

http://3516.com/ (debenham)

http://www.posthouse.com

spectra (down below the ad for smallformat to your left in the column)

Three to look at off the top of my wooden head.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Maybe I should mention that I'm shooting at 24fps. I just realized that frame rate could be an issue at some of the transfer facilities.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
carlweston

Post by carlweston »

24 fps is not an issue at any professional facility. :D
Check the DVD's I'm selling at http://www.graffitivideos.com/grafcore2000trailer.htm
Tools
DVX100A, TRV8, TRV315, DCR-HC20, Nizo S80, Beaulieu 4008MZ, Beaulieu 4008MZII, Bauer C107XL, EUMIG 65 XL
I Hope I'm Not Turning Into a Camera Collector.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

I suggest overexposing the film by up to a stop - then Flying Spot if you are mastering on DigiBeta or HD or CinePost if you are mastering on DVcam and want to save $$. Shoot in 400ft batches.

hope this helps,

Steve
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Thanks Carl and Steve.

Ya, I think I'll checkout cinepost. I am trying to keep it all within one 400ft reel. The final project will be 3 minutes.

So, slightly overexposing will be better for grain? is there another reason for overexposing?
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Billbot wrote:Thanks Carl and Steve.

Ya, I think I'll checkout cinepost. I am trying to keep it all within one 400ft reel. The final project will be 3 minutes.

So, slightly overexposing will be better for grain? is there another reason for overexposing?
more shadow detail - a bit more latitude for xfer. Of course this is just my own bias - and non-professional opinion - keep in mind.

have fun

Steve
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Billbot wrote:Ya, I think I'll checkout cinepost.?
I've had good experiences with them. Make sure you talk to them and let them know what you're looking for as far as tone & color.
Actor

Post by Actor »

Billbot wrote:So, slightly overexposing will be better for grain? is there another reason for overexposing?
200T lacks the filter notch (unless Kodak has corrected this recently) and most cameras will overexpose it one stop anyway unless. Unless you are using an external meter and setting aperture manually. What camera will you be using?

Look about an inch below the locator slot. If there is no notch then your camera will probably overexpose 200T by one stop. Tha last (and only) 200T I bought did not have the notch. SMPTE 166 says the notch should be there but Kodak chose not to notch according to SMPTE 166. Kodak and God know why.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Actor wrote: What camera will you be using?
I will be using a Beaulieu 5008 and a 4008. Since those cameras have a manual speed knob, noching will not matter.

So any overexposure will be a matter of choice!

:)

Sounds like detail in shadows and grain are the benefits of overexposing a stop.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
DrkAngl

Post by DrkAngl »

If you are in California you might want to try http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com. They are generally cheaper than Yale with no censorship issues. I've done processing and transfers with them with results that are better than the norm. Most importantly, they are local, allowing you to supervise your session. You can always get better results when you supervise.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Well, here's the followup:

I shot 7 rolls of 200t and 500t. I made a few rookie mistakes, such as under exposing, and having my daylight filer in for one shot.

I sent it to Forde and had them send it to CinePost in Atlanta. The CinePost people were cool on the phone and actually did my telecine the same day that they got it and fed-exed it to me so I could have it the next day. I paid for 1-2 day service, so that was sweet!

I don't have anything to compare it to, but the footage looked good and was quite clean. The film looked super stable and glitch free; with only some very minor dust and a couple of faint scratch lines.

I did think that the result that I got on the miniDV tape looked a bit soft, and not as vibrant as I was hoping to see; but again, I've only ever shot k40.

So for about 18 minutes of film on miniDV, I probably paid about $400 for film stock, ovenight fed-exing, processing, prep, transfer, and dv tape stock. I sent out my film for processing on a Monday, and had the miniDV in my hand on Friday morning.

I've finished editing the 3 minute version ( specifically for a contest ), and I am starting to work on my 'director's cut'. Having much fun.

Thanks to all who helped with ideas and advice.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
mathis

Post by mathis »

Why don´t you post the result?
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Ok, here's a 320x240 mov file of my project.

http://www.astrostation.com/Astrostatio ... pgrade.mov

I'm going to post some links to DV res stills later today.

I made a few mistakes with exposure and sound. I tried to make the best of it.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.