Fujica Single 8, Super 8 Backwinder, or Bust

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CToTheH

Fujica Single 8, Super 8 Backwinder, or Bust

Post by CToTheH »

Hi, is there anyone on the forum that would like to sell a nice fujica single 8 camera or a super 8 backwinder.

I want to experiment with double, triple, quad, multiple exposures to the max. I hear that the single 8 carts can be rewound as many times as you want with no film stress.

However, I am very curious about the super 8 backwinders. How many times can a super 8 cart be backwound?
How many exposures are possible?

-Chris
mik

Post by mik »

you can also try russian ds8 cameras. very cheap and with manual backwinding.
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

too lazy to load non cart film. The Ds8 is cool, but I'm looking for the ease of a cart so that I can switch them out in daylight.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi, CToTheH

with a backwinder you can backwind ca. 90 pictures, these are 5 sec (18 pics/sec). Perhaps you can backwind a little bit more (100-120). But it will be more easy to use a camera with bulit in double exposure (like the Bauer 512, Bauer C Royal 6E, 8E, 10E or Nizo 6080, there are several more cameras...)

Its not the problem of the camera or the backwinder. The problem is the super 8 cartridge design, it is not possible to backwind more.

Klaus.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Klaus wrote:Hi, CToTheH

with a backwinder you can backwind ca. 90 pictures,
Some backwinder, e.g. from ewa, can rewind more than 200 frames (at least they claim so in their manuals) ! The limit of approx. 90 frames only applies to the rewinding done inside some cameras!
This has already been discussed on this board:
Here's the manual:
And here's the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=11611&highlight=rewind+ewa

Jörg
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

But the limitation of 90 frames in cameras is for safety, when you wind back more than this it may be possible that the film breaks and it crashes. It doesn't matter what backwinder you use.

Another factor is the filmstock that you use.

Klaus.
[/list]
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

I guess since what I want to do requires much more than 90 or a 100 frames, I need a single 8 camera with a backwind function.

Any body have one they wantto sell??

-Chris
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Cams don't do more than 90 or 100 frames, but there are special rewinders for S8 carts that can do up to 12 seconds. Blame the coaxial cart design (though in a way, it's like the physical flow of real time, you can't go back, you only go forward). And it's not a problem of how many times you can do it, the only problem is how far back from when you started backwinding. As you can see in the thread linked above, Reedsturtevant has (had?) several rewinders to sell.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!