Canon 814 Autozoom for $41.00 USD?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Canon 814 Autozoom for $41.00 USD?

Post by CHAS »

How did I win this for such a low price??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7555801140

Am I missing something? I was prepared to pay almost 3x that amount...
CToTheH

nice buy

Post by CToTheH »

damn what a deal. ebay?
CHAS

Re: nice buy

Post by CHAS »

CToTheH wrote:damn what a deal. ebay?
Yeah - check the link. E-bay. What's funny was I lost the same model Canon on a different auction one day earlier to someone by $5.00! And she got it for $109.00. Now I get this one for more than half less! I don't get it...maybe there's something fishy...
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

the problem is that the person who posted the item seems to be using pictures of a different 814 (not the actual 814 for sale)

You may have gotten a good deal because people were scared to bid on a camera that isn't actually pictured, plus since the seller says "as is"...well basically it's a 50/50 with ebay and super 8s.

Ebay is a popular place to sell antique and rare items (especially motion picture cameras)

I wish you the best of luck.
etimh

Post by etimh »

CToTheH wrote:the problem is that the person who posted the item seems to be using pictures of a different 814 (not the actual 814 for sale).
Huh? I didn't get this from the description. Are you referring to where the guy says that the film pictured is not included in the sale?

Did I miss something?

Tim
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

Well, it's my asumption that since the film in the picture is not included means that there is something fishy about the sale. Plus, I recall seeing very similar pictures on other ebay 814 sales. Namley one that I won. I won an 814 that was pictured with k40 and instead I got ektachrome and an 814 with some small scuffs that weren't in the picture.

It's just my asumption.

-Chris
chachi

Post by chachi »

I don't get it, 814 autozooms usually go for around this much anyway. Its the 814 Electronic that usually cost more?? Thats how I usually see it go down anyway...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-Vintage-CANON- ... dZViewItem
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

chachi wrote:I don't get it, 814 autozooms usually go for around this much anyway. Its the 814 Electronic that usually cost more?? Thats how I usually see it go down anyway...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-Vintage-CANON- ... dZViewItem
That's what it's going for now...
Like I said, there was one that ended last night or this morning and it went for $109...$41.00 just seems a bit low...we'll see how the camera works out..
super8man

Post by super8man »

To be honest, I think $40 is the right price, not too much, not too little. $109 is crazy. Though I am in the minority, I do not like these older 814s compared to the later ones. Even if the optics are the same... Best of luck in your purchase...the pictures show a very nice camera.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Janne

Post by Janne »

I like this older one more than the plastic 814 Electronic. I have modified the exposure meter so that it doesn't need any button cell batteries.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

a Canon 814 Autozoom Electronic (= a newer model) was sold on Ebay Germany for EUR 27,02 (+ EUR 9,50 shipping) only a few days ago. Unfortunately I forgot to bid on it :(

The main reasons why the camera-prices are dropping raidly at the moment IMHO:
  • Some cameras (like the "Canon 814 Autozoom") require strange batteries for their auto-exposure-mechanism. Most of these batteries are out of production now, hence there's a high chance that you can use that feature in 1 or 2 years anymore.
  • The price for the Kodachrome 40 has doubled compared to 5-6 years ago. The total price for the 64T is even higher. (Not to mention that you'll now to find lab that does E6, that some photo-shops that sold the K40, won't stock the 64T, ... .)
  • There's some confusion about which camera can handle the new 64T correctly and which can't. (It looks like the "Canon 814 Autozoom" can.)
  • There's some confusion about the new film-stocks from Wittner, GK-Film, ... : Do they require GK's pressure plate (=extra cost)?
  • As mentioned in other threads: Some filmers fear that the S8-cartridges will be "out of production" sooner or later. Hence they're now switching to cameras that can handle raw stock + a SuperDrive / Supermag
  • Last, but not least: Videocams got better
Jörg
chachi

Post by chachi »

Janne wrote:I like this older one more than the plastic 814 Electronic. I have modified the exposure meter so that it doesn't need any button cell batteries.
Are you talking about the black plastic 814 , That one also only shoots 18fps not 24fps. I'm talking about the one below, I own it and I assure you its built the same as the autozoom.

CHAS

Post by CHAS »

chachi wrote:
Janne wrote:I like this older one more than the plastic 814 Electronic. I have modified the exposure meter so that it doesn't need any button cell batteries.
Are you talking about the black plastic 814 , That one also only shoots 18fps not 24fps. I'm talking about the one below, I own it and I assure you its built the same as the autozoom.

If you go to the pictures on the original link I provided, it shows that it can shoot at 24 fps:

chachi

Post by chachi »

not you CHAS, I know that one shoots 24fps. I was talking to JANNE, who stated :

"I like this older one more than the plastic 814 Electronic. I have modified the exposure meter so that it doesn't need any button cell batteries."

I think he's reffering to the 814xl, which is "plastic" and does not shoot 24fps..

CHAS

Post by CHAS »

chachi wrote:not you CHAS, I know that one shoots 24fps. I was talking to JANNE, who stated :

"I like this older one more than the plastic 814 Electronic. I have modified the exposure meter so that it doesn't need any button cell batteries."

I think he's reffering to the 814xl, which is "plastic" and does not shoot 24fps..

oh, ok. There are too many 814s out there...need a scoreboard to keep track of them all! Guess If I had the 814-XLS I'd be set...